Chapter 42 - Monkeys

"Hello?"

"Hey. I'll be there in five minutes."

"Alright. See you then."

I hung up the phone and stuffed it into my purse along with my wallet, my keys, and a few snacks for Jack.

Zayn had called last night, asking if we could have a day with Jack, just the three of us. A day where he could spend some more time with his son and get to know him a little better.

He promised that it would only be me, him, and Jack. No Paola. No Spencer. Just us.

I couldn't hide my excitement, and today I wouldn't even try to. I had never imagined that Zayn would take the initiative and call me. I never thought that he would be that invested in being a father, and this had taken me by surprise.

"Are you ready baby?" I popped around the corner, asking Jack, who was sitting in the middle of the floor with his toys.

I had dressed him in a pair of jean shorts, a ninja turtles shirt, and his favorite light up sneakers. He was the cutest thing I'd ever seen, and he looked like Zayn more and more everyday.

He simply nodded his head and continued playing with his Hot Wheels cars.

Zayn and I had decided to hold off on telling Jack for a little longer. We wanted the two of the them to develop a relationship before we dropped that kind of news on him. After all, he was only four.

I was on my way back to the living room when the doorbell sounded, and for once I could smile about it, because for once I knew exactly who was on the other side of that door.

I jogged over to the door and stopped right as I was about to open the door. I glanced over at the mirror next to the door and fluffed my hair a bit and looked myself over, not really knowing why I was trying so hard to look for him.

I slowly opened the door and was greeted by a smiling Zayn. He seemed to be in a good mood, wearing a tight black t-shirt paired with a pair of khaki shorts and checkered vans on his feet.

He still hadn't shaved his beard, and I had grown quite used to it, maybe even started to like it.

"Hey." I chirped, all of my teeth showing.

"Hey." he replied with a crooked grin.

I stepped aside and motioned for him to come in. He walked passed me, the static charging as we were almost touching.

"By the way, your smile is lovely." he whispered in my ear as he passed me, which made my smile grow even bigger, threatening to break my jaw.

I closed the door and turned around to see him standing in the middle of my living room, looking in every direction.

"What are you looking at?" I chuckled, making my way over to him.

"Nothing in particular. Just looking. You know, I've been here three times now and never had a proper look at the place. It's nice." he said, smiling as his eyes scanned the apartment.

"Thanks. It's a nice fit, for me and Jack." I mumbled the last part, hoping that he wouldn't catch it, and I didn't know why.

"Speaking of, where is the little guy?" he asked with a light of excitement in his eyes. A light I didn't think he'd ever had in his life or ever would if it didn't concern Jack.

"He's in his room. I'll go get him." I smiled, turning to go get our son.

"Uhm, what reason did you give for me being here today?" he questioned nervously.

"Zayn, he's four. He doesn't really care to know reasons. If you're here, you're here and he doesn't care why." I giggled, shuffling down the hall to Jack's room.