Chapter 47 - It's Time

I hobbled up the stairs to my apartment, my feet dragging against the floor of the concrete hallway. I felt like I was going to vomit any second and my head ached from exhaustion. It didn't seem to help that the sun was beating down right on top of me, heating my skin and melting the remains of my makeup off of my face.

I hadn't experienced a hangover since the day after my twenty first birthday, and my pounding headache reminded my why.

I knew that I looked a mess, to say the least. I could only imagine the mess of knots that were supposed to be my hair, and the strap on my dress hanging off of my shoulder. I looked like I had done exactly what is it was that I did the night before, and it made me feel dirty. 

I knew that the first thing I'd do once I got inside was take a long, hot shower. I needed to rinse away the memories of last night, because they were ones that I would honestly rather forget. 

I shielded my eyes from the sun as I approached my door, but had to remove my hand to dig around in my purse for my house keys. It took a minute or so, but I finally felt them at the very bottom of my purse and nearly dumped the whole thing over to get them out.

I struggled to get the key to go into the lock. It was like a game of Tetris, trying every key because I couldn't look at the shining silver things long enough to tell which one was which. I tried them all and took several seconds to actually get it into the lock, and it was the third key that unlocked the door.

I pushed the door open slowly in an attempt to keep it from creaking, and quietly crept into the house, closing the door behind me. The apartment was dark, our dark blue curtains drawn so it looked as if it were still nighttime. I had to say I was relieved, because there was no light to irritate my condition.

The only light that shown in the house was the light from the tv in the living room. It was turned to the LifeTime channel, which was one that I never watched. My eyes traveled over to the couch to see Zayn's body stretched across it. I giggled to myself a little at the thought that Zayn was watching the girliest channel on television.

His body was sprawled out on the couch, taking up it's entire length. His feet were propped up on one of the arms and his head by a pillow on the opposite side. One of his arms rested flat on his chest, while the other dangled over the side of the couch. His face looked relaxed - his lips were parted quite a lot in comparison to the first time I'd seen him sleep, and a tiny line of drool hung from his mouth. Despite that, he still looked like the most attractive man I'd ever seen.

I stood there and watched him for a couple of minutes, wanting to cherish this little bit of peace before I woke him up. I knew that once he saw me, all hell was going to break loose, and I even contemplated showering and changing before he woke up, but decided against it because I knew that something would end up waking him up before I could.

I hesitantly stepped forward and reached my hand out. I tapped him very gently on the shoulder and withdrew my hand at the speed of sound, as if waking a bear that would rip your hand off otherwise. He didn't budge.

I tapped him again, a little harder this time, and he moaned a little bit, but ultimately didn't move. I tried once more, this time shoving him as hard as I could, slamming him into the couch which jolted him awake. 

"Huh? Wha? Ugh." he moaned when his eyes bolted open and he shot straight up, looking frantically around the room.

I, by this time, had taken quite a few steps away from him. I knew that I was last person he wanted to see upon waking up, so I decided to keep a fair distance.

His bloodshot eyes were squinted as they scanned the room, possibly in search of anything familiar. He kept rubbing the sleep away from them, and the frown on his face made it apparent that he wasn't too happy to have been woken up.