Chapter 72 - Adults

After Zayn left, I stood staring at my reflection in the mirror for a good five minutes. I had to pull myself together before I went downstairs. And I did - pretty quickly. Then it only took me a few minutes to reapply my makeup and throw on a new outfit.

When I made my way downstairs again, I found Mrs. Malik in the dining room, laying out all of the food and beverages. I noticed that she had changed as well and was now sporting a gorgeous shade of dark maroon lipstick, and an equally stunning black dress. I suddenly felt under-dressed, in my casual cobalt blue sun dress, but decided not to make a big issue out of it. Instead, I offered my assistance, which she accepted after a little persuasion on my part.

Five minutes later, everyone was gathering around the table, selecting their seats and asking who would do the honors of popping the cap on the bottle of champagne. I quickly found Jack, whom I'd been informed was cleaned up by Doniya, and lead him by hand to two of the four seats that were left open.

Jack ended up sitting next to Safaa, whom he seemed to be getting along with quite well, while the seat next to me remained empty. And I cringed upon realizing who might soon be occupying it.

Zayn and Paola's absence didn't go unnoticed - it just went unspoken. I had no clue whether or not anyone was aware of what had happened earlier, and I'm not sure if it was an awkward air or tension that surrounded the room every time someone glanced at the empty seats - but I did know that no one seemed too rushed to have Zayn and his girlfriend at the table.

Dinner carried on without them. Conversation ensued and alcohol was consumed. Everyone was laughing as stories were passed around the table, and the men sent endless compliments our way over the food. After nearly an hour, I was almost sure that Zayn had decided not to come down, and relief started to settle within me.

"So, Erica is walking down the runway, and the stitching on her pants just comes undone! Next thing we know, there's a huge hole in her crotch and everyone is laughing, and she just keeps walking like a champ! But the serious faces she was making in the photos did make for a few good laughs the next day!" Doniya manages to slur only a few words as she wraps up her story, all of us in fits of hysteric laughter, due mostly to the champagne.

Just then, Mr. Malik raised his glass, causing the room to fall completely silent. He was about to make a toast, and when his eyes connected with mine, I felt a sense of pride that he was speaking to me.

"Ada, I don't know where my boy is right now, but wherever he's off to, I hope he knows what a wonderful young lady you are, and how lucky he is to have you in his life. In the past, I know that I've said some things, concerning you, that weren't the best, and I'd like to apologize for those things now. I was wrong to pass judgement on someone I knew nothing about, and after meeting you I've seen just how wrong I was. You are a smart, determined, and beautiful young woman and you've done a wonderful job raising my grandson. I think I speak for everyone here when I say welcome to our family, Miss Ada." Mr. Malik spoke with sincerity and respect, and I prayed that all this wasn't just the alcohol talking.

Everyone raised their glasses and drank to everything he'd just said - to me. I couldn't comprehend the positive outcome that this meeting had resulted in. Just yesterday I was afraid, terrified actually, to meet these people - and tonight, I never wanted to go another day without them. They took a situation that they could have easily turned their backs on, and embraced it with open arms. They took Zayn's mistake, and found the good in it. Found the good in me.

I'd never been so thankful for a group of people in my life. I knew they would be good to Jack, and good to me. I knew that no matter what the future held for me and Zayn, our son would always have a family to turn to. He had a loving family from both of his parents, and for that, I would be forever grateful.