Chapter 36 - Unexpected Visit

I woke up to the sun shining into my room. I felt well rested and energized, and that wasn't a feeling I had experienced in a long time.

I looked over to my window, and saw that it was covered in frost, and the trees outside were white with snow.

Something about the day just felt like resolve. I felt okay for the first time in so long. For once, my dreams hadn't been plagued by painful memories, or any remnants of my mistakes. Only positive glimpses into the future, or what I believed to be the future.

Right now I was just focusing on having a good day with my son. Weekends were always special for us because it was the only time we really got to spend some quality time together when I wasn't exhausted.

I hopped out of bed and went into the bathroom to take a shower. The warm water felt good in comparison to the chilly air that filled my apartment, despite having the heat on full blast.

I always appreciated being able to take a shower, because it was the one time of the day I got to myself. I ran my fingers through my wet hair, soaping it twice because f how thick and long it is.

When I finally stepped out, the bathroom was full of steam. The mirror was fogged up good, perfect for writing on it. I know it sounds childish, but I had always liked to write things on my bathroom mirror when it was fogged, and I guess that was something that had never left me.

I wrapped my hair in a towel, and another around my body. I walked over to the counter and stared at the mirror, thinking about what I wanted to write this time.

I leaned over the sink and slid my finger across the wet glass. It squeaked as my finger spelled out the phrase in my sloppy cursive handwriting.

Yes there are two paths you can go by but in the long run, there's still time to change the road you're on

It was a lyric from Stairway To Heaven by Led Zeppelin. Zeppelin had always been my favorite band. It brought a sense of nostalgia with it. And this lyric had always been my favorite lyric ever written.

It was so simple, yet so deep. There were so many ways that you could interpret it, and you could apply it to almost any situation. It was the lyric that had first inspired me to write.

It made me look at the world in a different way. It told me that I could make mistakes, and that my life would go on, but in the end, I could always correct them. It gave me a hope that it was never too late for anything. And right now, I needed that hope.

I got myself dressed, teeth brushed, makeup on, and went down the hall to wake Jack up so we could make breakfast together. He always had fun cooking with me.

On Saturdays, we made pancakes, hash browns, bacon, eggs, and anything else he could think off. We really feasted, because it was the only time we cold have a proper breakfast together since every other day of the week was always a rush.

I was about halfway down the hall when I heard my doorbell chime throughout the apartment. I stopped walking and turned around slightly, raising my eyebrows.

It wasn't normal for me to have a visitor so early in the morning. It wasn't normal for me to have a visitor at all. My parents always called before they came over, and unless it was Rosie, I didn't know who it could be. Unless it was the damn landlord come to collect the rent.

For me, the most logical choice was Rosie. She probably decided to come down for the weekend before studying for finals started, an she either wanted to surprise me, or it completely slipped her mind to call me.

The doorbell sounded again as I turned on my heel and made my way for the door. The ringing got closer and closer together, and that's when I started to think that it might not be Rosie. She would know that Jack would still be asleep at this hour, and would never dream of being so inconsiderate.