Chapter 16 - Porsche

"Ada, this is my girlfriend, Perrie." His words hit me like a bolt of lightning. It was like a surge of high voltage electricity struck me in the chest and drove straight through my body and out the other side. I held my hand to my chest as if I was having a heart attack, and with the way I was feeling, I wouldn't have been surprised if I did.

My lungs drew in a deep breath, filling up with the air I'd need if I was going to say something. I knew that I'd already waited too long to say anything and that no matter what, anything beyond this point was going to be awkward and uncomfortable.

Perrie's smile started to fade and I knew that I had to say something before she branded me a total freak or called an ambulance for me. I put on the biggest, cheesiest, fakest smile I could muster, and extended my hand. "It's really nice to meet you Perrie. Actually, Zayn never mentioned that he had a girlfriend." I said through gritted teeth, glaring at Zayn while I kept my smile perfectly intact..

Perrie was either oblivious or in denial that there was anything going on between me and her boyfriend, because she ignored my comment and simply replied, "Oh it's lovely to meet you too. I've been wondering who it was that stole our little Liam's heart." I was still glancing over at Zayn out of the corner of my eye. I had expected him to look nervous or uncomfortable, but he was still so calm and collected, his arm around Perrie's waist and his other hand in his pocket.

"May I just say that you are absolutely gorgeous Ada. Liam is a lucky guy." Perrie's smile was radiant. "Oh...uhm...thank you." I said sheepishly, feeling the color rush to my cheeks. I wasn't used to receiving compliments like that, and tonight I was seeming to get a lot of them. I couldn't help but sneak another peek at Zayn, who was looking at me with the most adoring eyes. I had been so sure about where we stood in our relationship just a few minutes before, but the fact that he had a girlfriend changed everything.

I sat awkwardly rubbing my arm, not really sure what to say or even where to look. I felt 2 pairs of eyes on me and it was making me even more nervous. I didn't know what was going on in Zayn's head at this point. All I knew was what was going on in my head, and my head was telling me to get the hell out of there. I wanted so desperately to run away from them, but I wasn't about to do something so dramatic as that.

I was growing more and more uneasy with each passing second. I could feel my palms starting to sweat, despite the freezing air around me, my eyes starting to blink rapidly, and my fingers twirling a strand of my hair around until it was tied in a perfect boyscout knot. I decided that I should take my leave before Perrie asked what was making me so nervous.

I swung my legs over the edge of the bench and let out a sigh as I rubbed my injured ankle. "Well it's feeling much better. I think I should probably get back to Liam now and give you two some privacy." I choked out the last few words as my eyes caught Zayn's. His stare was intense, too intense to tell exactly what he was thinking.

I stood up, biting down on my tongue to absorb the pain searing through my ankle. "Are you sure you're okay to walk all the way back by yourself? Maybe we should help you." Perrie looked at me with a concerned look on her face, like it hurt her to watch me walk. "No. It's fine. I'm fine." I protested. The last thing I wanted was to have to walk all the way back to the house with her and Zayn. "If you say so. But please be careful sweetie." The way she called me "sweetie" left a sour taste in my mouth. "It was lovely to have met you." I offered a smile. "Oh me too. I hope I'll be seeing a lot more of you in the future. Have a wonderful night Ada." Her smile was so genuine and sincere that it made me feel guilty for how insincere mine was. I turned to Zayn who was still clinging to Perrie's side, with his eyes still set on me. "I'll see ya Zayn." I waved half hearted as I started to walk away without even waiting for him to respond.