Chapter 60 - Communication Breakdown

I woke up the next morning to the feel of the wall pressed up against my back and a knot in my neck that even the most skilled masseuse couldn't work out. It took a few minutes for my eyes to adjust and focus in on the room surrounding me. At first, I hadn't even opened my eyes - I'd just woken up and decided to remain in darkness for a few more seconds.

I pushed myself off of the wall while rubbing the back of my neck and looking around the room. It was actually quite nice to wake up to such a colorful room. It was a great start to the day and I could already tell that it had boosted my mood 1000%. 

I looked over to the couch where I could remember setting my son the night before, but to my surprise, he wasn't there. Of course, there's always that very primal fear that strikes you when you don't know where exactly your child is, but it didn't take long for me to shake it off and realize that he had to be with Zayn. 

While my mind was on the topic of Zayn, I could vaguely remember falling asleep, and if my memory was correct, I had fallen asleep in his arms. I remembered the way he had beckoned to me with his outstretched arms, silently asking for me, and the feel of his arms wrapping tightly around me and holding me close and snug against his warm body. I found myself smiling at the memory and I couldn't help but allow my lips to pull up passed my teeth.

I didn't really feel like getting up. As uncomfortable as sleeping on the floor sounds, I was actually pretty content where I was, and if we didn't have anywhere to be, I would've stayed there. Unfortunately, my responsible brain forced my body onto my legs and stretched my arms up above my head, sending a wonderful pulling feeling through my back.

I hadn't forgotten that we were to leave for Bradford today. We were already two days behind schedule, and I was slightly irritated that Zayn hadn't woken me up with him and Jack earlier. I crept my way out of the room and down the hall, being very careful not to make too much noise. By the sound of it, I assumed that it would be just me, Zayn, Jack, and Paola left in the house, and somehow that raised the stakes higher.

Finally, I made it to my room, feeling a little triumphant, and almost cocky, by the fact that I'd made it there without an issue. I immediately started digging through my suitcase for some clean underwear and an outfit for the day, as well as my shampoo, conditioner, and body wash. I hadn't taken a shower since we'd arrived and I felt grimy and dirty and my hair was so greasy that it looked wet. 

I was gathering the last of my shower supplies when I heard a knock at the door. At first, my thoughts went to Zayn, but when I heard the knock again, I changed my mind. It's funny how I could notice something so simple as the way he knocked on a door, and tell just by that if it was him or not.  

I threw my stuff onto the unmade bed and went to open the door. I was a little surprised when, upon opening the door, I was greeted by the face of Louis Tomlinson rather than Zayn Malik. 

"Oh, uhm. morning Lou. I didn't know you were still here." I said as he pushed passed me into the room. Something was definitely different about him today, and it didn't feel right. Something was wrong.

"I actually left last night, but I came back about an hour ago. Wanted to see you off." he explained as he nonchalantly leaned against the closet door. The look on his face quite worried me, because it was the same expression my parents used to wear when I was younger and they knew about something bad I'd done and were just waiting for me to tell them. 

"Well that was nice of you. But, what are you doing in my room?" I asked, starting to feel uncomfortable by the whole scenario. 

Louis didn't look the least bit offended by my question, even though the tone in which I said it should have given him more than enough reason to be. He simply brought his thumb and index finger up and gently stroked his chin while staring blankly at the ground. His behavior was strange, and it was on the verge of actually frightening me.