Chapter 29 - We Could Go For Pizza

My eyes were locked on the clock as I watched it tick away the last few seconds of my work day. The last minute always went by painfully slow. So slow that I'd rather be beating my head against my desk than waiting for it to end.

Finally, 4:59 changed to 5:00 and I was officially free to go. I collected my things and threw it all into my purse before clocking out. I stood up from my chair an stretched my legs that had turned numb from sitting all day.

"I'm leaving Doctor Chandler!" I called to my boss who was back in his office, finishing up some paperwork.

"Have a good night dear. See you in the AM!" he called back.

I smiled to myself, feeling lucky that my boss was the way he was, and not some horrible tyrant of a man. I pulled my coat back on and tied my scarf around my neck. I put my beanie back on my head, smashing my disheveled hair into it in an attempt to make it look halfway decent.

I opened the door of the office and stepped outside to see that the sun was still up. Despite that, the air had gotten much colder, and as soon as my skin felt the icy wind, it was immediately dotted with goosebumps.

I got into my car and quickly turned on the heat, knowing that the old car wouldn't be heated until I got to my parents' house.

No matter what kind of day I had at work, just knowing that I would see Jack afterwards made it all worth it, and brought a smile to my face.

I pulled into my parents' driveway and parked my car. I slammed the door a little too hard as I got out, and I knew that everyone probably realized that I was there.

I didn't even bother knocking on the door. I never did. I just walked inside and found Jack playing on the living room floor with his fire trucks and superhero action figures. It was a sight that warmed my frozen body.

"Hi honey. How was work today?" My mom asked casually as she walked down the stairs.

"No different than any other day." I replied with a hint of resentment in my voice.

"And how is mommy's little man?" I asked my son as I sat down behind him on the floor and scooped him into my arms.

"Mommy! Your home!" He exclaimed, and turned around to hug me as right as he could.

"I came back for you baby." I rubbed my nose against his.

"What do you say we go to the park for a little bit?" I whispered to him.

"Really mama?" His eyes lit up.

"Of course. Now go get your coat."

I watched as he jumped up and ran off to find his coat that he'd probably thrown in some corner when he came in this morning.

"He wasn't any trouble, was he mom?" I slowly stood up with my hands on my knees and asked my mom.

"Ada, you know he's never trouble." My mom answered with all the light in the world in her eyes.

Jack came running back into the room with his coat on backwards and his little boots on the wrong feet. His beanie was on correctly, but his scarf was tied around it on his head.

I giggled to myself and bent down to fix it all for him. And as soon as everything was set right, his little hands were on my legs, trying to push me out the door.

"Thanks for watching him. And tell dad 'I love you' for me." I called to my mother as Jack rushed me out of the house.

When we got to the park, the sun was starting to get lower in the sky, much lower. I was concerned that it would get too dark, but I wanted him to play for at least five minutes before I went to dinner with Louis.