Maybe Next Time (Tadashi x Reader)

Tadashi watched you as you sat on the couch in his lab beside him, working on the blueprints for your next invention. You would've done it in your own lab, but that proved to be too quiet and lonely.

You appeared to be determined to finish your work as soon as possible; your undivided attention completely fixated on scribbling all the notes and sketches required, unlike Tadashi who couldn't even focus on what he was doing anymore.

A single train of though had been speeding through his mind ever since you stopped by his lab, preventing him from doing anything else but think.

You're alone, tell her how you feel.

The first few times the idea came to his mind, he dismissed it thinking it was crazy; insane, even. After considering it a couple of times, he was surprisingly on the verge of agreeing.

You should just tell her. I mean, what do you have to lose?

Your friendship, maybe? Think about it, if she doesn't like you back, hanging out will be just awkward!

But what if she does like you? What if you never tell her and she ends up with someone else?

The contradicting thoughts were overwhelming him. It was as if two separate people were arguing in his head. It was driving him nuts.

Just tell her and get it over with! You like her, that's all there is to it.

But she might not like you! Don't risk your friendship on this!

In the end, he was gonna have to make a decision or he'd give himself a headache.

Tell her!

Don't tell her!

She might like you too!

She might hate you forever!

Would you shut up?

No, you shut up!

"I swear, I'm going crazy." Tadashi rubbed his temples in frustration. Looking back up at you, he said, "Hey (Y/N)."

Yes! He's telling her!

You're gonna regret this...

Shut it!

"Look, (Y/N). I've been meaning to tell you something... For a while now, actually."

You nodded, eyes still fixed on the blueprints.

"Ever since I first met you, I always thought you were kinda pretty," he admitted, cheeks glowing bright red as he rubbed the back of his neck. "And for the past few years that we've been best friends, I realized something.

You're more than just that. You're also really cool, and kind, and smart, and helpful, and a lot of other things and, well, I've been wanting to tell you for a while now that..."

He gulped, waiting for the words to come out on their own.

"I like you. A lot." He breathed, feeling a heavy weight disappear from his shoulders. At this point, he couldn't even make eye contact with you.

Too far gone to go back now.

"And I'll understand if you don't like me back." He immediately closed his eyes, afraid of the response he'd get.

Silence.

More silence.

An explosion was heard from the main lab. Probably just Honey Lemon.

Even more silence.

The silence. It was killing him on the inside, but he didn't dare open his eyes. Not until you started humming did he open them in curiosity.

"Er, (Y/N)?" he said. "(Y/N)?" he said a little louder, waving his hand in front of you.

You looked up from the paper. "Tadashi?" You plucked the earbuds out of your ears. "Did you say something?"

Tadashi froze. He swore the Earth stopped rotating for a millisecond. "W-wait, what?"

"I asked if you said something."

"I, uhh, I did. You... you didn't hear me?"

You shook your head. "Nope, sorry. Was it important?"

Tadashi wasn't quite which he felt more: relief that you didn't hear him or disappointment that you didn't hear him. "No, nothing. It's nothing. You can go back to work."

You smiled. "Alright then." You plugged the earbuds back in before writing across the blue paper once more.

Tadashi reverted his own attention back to his work, not quite sure how to process what had happened.

At least now you know what to do. The voice came back. Thankfully, it was the nice one. Just make sure she hears you the next time you give it a shot.

Yeah, and hopefully she'll feel the same. Tadashi thought.

Don't worry, you'll get it next time.

Tadashi glanced back at you one more time. You noticed his gaze and smiled at him.

Yeah. He smiled back. Next time.