Soulmate (Tadashi x Reader)

A/N: I got the idea from a prompt that's been going around Tumblr. It's where everyone on earth has this timer on their wrist counting down to the moment they would meet their soulmate.

Enjoy!

________________________

00 days, 00 hours, 3 minutes, 02 seconds.

Thats what the time on your wrist said.

2 minutes, 58 seconds. That time was all that mattered to you at the moment. Time was ticking fast and so was your heartbeat.

2 minutes, 56 seconds.

As people walked past you, you felt the urge to check their wrist. Just in case someone had the same time as yours.

He was here. You could feel it.

2 minutes, 50 seconds.

The bell hanging on top of a café door caught your attention when it rung. You felt something strong drawing you towards the café, and it wasn't just the sweet aroma coming from inside.

Following the feeling in your gut, you headed for the door and slowly pushed it open. The scent of coffee immediately reached your nose, matching the ambiance of the place.

"I guess I could get something while I wait," you said to no one in particular.

You walked towards the counter where a young man stood with his back to you next to an older lady, talking about something you couldn't quite catch.

Before you could reach the counter, another voice, most likely coming from the kitchen, came shouting.

"Tadashi! Help me out. I accidentally spilled some nuts on the ground!"

Thr lady shook her head. "Go help your brother. I'll handle the counter."

As you laid your hands on the counter and greeted the woman with a smile, the young man disappeared into the kitchen.

"Hi," you said, hastily scanning the menu. You couldn't quite focus; you were too busy counting the seconds that passed despite trying to forget in order to calm your racing heart.

"Hello," she greeted back gleefully, wiping the counter with a nearby rag. "Your outfit is very nice. Awfully formal for a trip to the café, isn't it?"

"Thanks." You rubbed your hands on your clothes, suddenly feeling self-conscious. "My timer is kind of close to hitting zero so I thought I should wear something good..."

She froze, holding her rag in mid-air. "Your... Your timer. It's almost at zero?"

"Yeah." You showed her your wrist as proof.

1 minute, 40 seconds.

"I think my soulmate might be somewhere in your café. Maybe that's why something brought me here."

Her brief glance at the kitchen almost went unnoticed by you. A child-like smile grew on her face. It was the face you'd make to say 'I know something you don't!'

"So, what can I get you?" she asked, clasping her hands together.

Your eyes briefly scanned the menu before landing back on her. "The (F/P) looks pretty good," you said, handing her the money.

"Sure thing. I'll have my nephew bring it to you in a bit."

As she reached to grab the money, she put her hand on top of yours for a brief moment. "And about your soulmate, don't be too nervous. I can almost assure you that your soulmate is even more anxious than you are."

You smiled and nodded. "Thanks."

Taking a seat on the table near the window, there seemed like nothing else you could do but stare at the timer like a ticking bomb.

45 seconds.

You drummed your fingers across the table, scanning the crowd of people outside in case a person stood out amongst others.

36 seconds.

The afternoon chatter of the people around you drowned into incomprehensible murmurs. The ticking of the timer seemed louder than all of them combined.

27 seconds.

"Tadashi, do you mind bringing the (F/P) to the girl sitting next to the window too?" You heard the lady's voice coming from the kitchen, followed by an approving response.

Your head shot up. Guess that's me, you thought.

19 seconds.

The young man from earlier came walking out with a tray in the air and an apron tied around his waist. You tried to look at his face, but it was completely blocked by the tall glasses of lemonade juice on the tray.

He went around serving the lemonade juice and you assumed your order wasn't with him yet. Your attention reverted back to the window.

12 seconds.

"This is it," you whispered to yourself. You almost felt numb with anxiety as you subconsciously fixed your hair.

8 seconds.

A young boy with thick, black hair came out of the kitchen with your plate of (F/P) in his hand. "Tadashi, you forgot to get the-" His eyes grew at the sight of direction the older boy was headed. "Watch out for my skateboard!"

His warning was a second too late. By the time he had uttered the word "skateboard," the young man, whose name you guessed was Tadashi, had already slipped on it. The, fortunately, empty tray was left to drop loudly onto the ground as he fell and crashed into the table near the window, A.K.A. your table.

Though startled, you shot up from your chair and quickly knelt down beside him.

3...

2..

1.

"Are you okay?" you asked.

He fluttered open his eyes, and as he did, you felt something ringing inside you. He must have felt it also, based off of the look on his face.

"Do you hear that? The ringing?" he asked, sitting up. "I mean, it may just be the throbbing in my head."

"No, no. I hear it too," you said suspiciously. Both of you instinctively raised your wrist.

00 days, 00 hours, 00 minutes, 00 seconds.

You looked up, trying to find the words yet all that came out of your mouth was a long line of mindless stuttering. He looked like he wanted to say something too, but his smile said enough.

As you helped him up, he dusted himself off and fixed his hair. "Sorry. I promised my aunt a few days ago that I'd help her out in the café today and I totally forgot that this was the day I would meet you. I wasn't able to prepare anything special..."

You chuckled. "It's fine. Maybe we were just meant to meet this way. And if it's worth anything, the apron you're wearing is my favorite color."

Once he regained his composure, he straightened his shoulders. "Let's try this again. Hi, my name's Tadashi." He held out his hand, one of the biggest smiles you'd ever seen on his face. "Your soulmate."

You reached for his hand, expecting a hand shake What you didn't expect was the giant hug he pulled you into.

"My name's (Y/N)," you mumbled out, feeling his embrace tighten. "Also your soulmate."