Keeping Warm (Tadashi x Reader)

A cold breeze circled the streets, brushing past the snow-covered cherry blossom trees and causing some snow to drop. Stepping foot outside your house, the breeze quickly made its way to you. You teeth chattered as you tightened your grip on your jacket.

As far as you could see down the street, thin layers of snow covered not only the roofs and doorsteps of other houses, but of your house as well.

You tilted your head. "It's not as bad as I thought," you commented, picking up the shovel that your dad had set out for you.

With small, baby steps, you began shoveling away the snow that blocked the path. You hummed as you threw the snow aside, unaware of the pair of eyes staring at you from the café a house down the road.

. . .

"Tadashi? Hello? Earth to nerd with the hat, do you hear me?"

Tadashi blinked. "Huh? What?"

Hiro crossed his arms. "You were lost in space and I saved you from getting sucked into a black hole. You can thank me by doing the rest of the dishes."

Tadashi shut the blinds of the window and picked up the rag he had set down. He flicked his brother's nose and walked past him. "Forget about it, knucklehead. It's your day to do the dishes, remember?"

"I never forgot, I just hoped you did while you were in that trance. What were you staring at anyway?" Hiro asked, raising the blinds once again and looking out the window. "I tried timing how long you spaced out but got bored after five minutes."

Tadashi shrugged, clearing a table of empty plates. "It was nothing, I was just admiring the snow."

"The snow or the girl shovelling it over there?" Hiro smirked when he saw his brother visibly freeze.

"The snow. Obviously the snow," Tadashi sputtered, fixing his cap.

"That's the girl whose family moved in a week ago, right? Don't you think it's kind of creepy staring at her from here?" Hiro asked, ignoring Tadashi's words.

"I wasn't staring," Tadashi defended, taking the empty dishes into the kitchen with his brother following behind him. "Like I said, I was admiring the snow when I just so happened to see her there as well."

Hiro took the dishes from Tadashi's hands, setting them down on the sink. "So you're somehow admitting that you were staring at her?" he said with a grin.

Tadashi deadpanned. "Just get to work," he said, lightly shoving his brother towards the sink. "I think more people just came in."

"Fine, but this isn't over!"

Tadashi rolled his eyes, walking out of the kitchen with his notepad in hand. As he greeted the new customers, he couldn't help but glance out the window every once in a while. To admire the snow, of course.

. . .

You pushed back the strands of your hair that fell on your face as you took a moment to breathe deeply. After almost thirty minutes, you were more than halfway done with shoveling everything that needed to be cleared.

"I swear it got ten times colder," you mumbled, reeling in the shovel once more.

"Then I suppose it's a good thing I came over with these?"

Looking up, you jumped back to see a young man holding up a thick grey jacket and two cups of what seemed to be hot chocolate.

"My name's Tadashi," he introduced politely, carefully walking up to you. "I live at the café over there. Your family moved in a week ago, right?"

You nodded.

"My aunt, brother, and I were supposed to come over and welcome you to the neighborhood a few days ago but we never found the time. The café gets pretty full whenever the weather gets cold."

"I see," you said, adjusting your gloves.

"I saw you and you seemed awfully cold so, here..." He handed you the jacket. "Consider it my 'welcome to the neighborhood' gift."

"Is it really that obvious how cold I am?" You asked with a laugh, though gladly accepting it nonetheless. "Thanks. My name's (Y/N), by the way."

He held out the cup of hot chocolate. "Here, have this too. It'll keep you warm on the inside."

As you reached for the cup, you raised an eyebrow at the other one. "Why are there two cups?" you asked.

"I was hoping I could keep you company," he said, taking a sip. "If you want, I could help you with the shoveling. We have an extra shovel in our garage and I could ask my brother to switch shifts with me for the day."

"That seems like to much to ask. Besides, I'm almost done already. It's fine." You took a gulp of the hot chocolate, feeling the warmth travel down your throat. "This tastes amazing!" you beamed, taking another sip.

"Maybe you could stop by the café later when you're done? We could have an actual conversation and I could make some more hot chocolate for us," he offered. "And if you're still feeling cold by then, I have a robot that can warm you right up."

You drummed your fingers on the shovel's handle before shrugging. "Sure, I have nothing else to do anyway. And that offer with the robot sounds really good."

"Great!" Tadashi had to stop himself from smiling ear-to-ear. "I-I mean... That's good to hear."

Another cold gust of air brushed against your neck, making you shiver visibly.

Tadashi noticed and swiftly removed the scarf around his neck. "Here, take this. You'll need it more than I will. I'd hate to leave you here still freezing."

You smiled as he draped it loosely on your shoulders. "I'll be sure to give it back when I stop by later."

"Are you sure you don't need help?" he asked. "My offer is still wide open."

"Positive," you confirmed, grabbing hold of the shovel once more. "Thanks again, Tadashi."

He nearly tripped twice into the snow as he waved and walked away, not paying attention to where he was going. You laughed, watching him until he disappeared into the café.

You wrapped the scarf around your neck before getting back to work. Picking up the pace, you shoveled twice as fast as you did earlier.

Though the jacket, scarf, and hot chocolate kept you significantly warm, the smile Tadashi gave you as he looked at you from the café window every once in a while was warmer than all three combined.