Chapter 4

Dave

"Uh, we'll consider it," Brad said into the phone. Sending these demo tapes was kind of a bad idea. Mike had all sorts of people auditioning from probably everywhere. We had calls coming in and people waiting outside to audition. We had too many people thinking we were going to be the next Limp Bizkit, which was a little embarrassing.

"Yes. Thank you." Brad hung up and threw his phone at Joe. "I am going to murder Mike the next second I see him!" Joe glared at Brad and threw his phone back at him. I rolled my eyes as they threw the phone back and forth. 

"Guys chill out. It'll all be worth it once we find out guy. Or girl." True we had a couple of girls come in to try out. But none of them had the skills we needed. One girl tried screaming and I took off before she could do it again. Another girl had that Gothic opera sound, which was totally out of the question.

"Yeah but he didn't need to get this much people! A local audition would've been fine," Brad groaned as he finally pocketed his phone. Joe sat down in the chair next to me. Jeff knocked on the door and opened it. He was holding his phone. "Hey we got a guy already done with the demo."

My eyes widened. "What? We just sent those out yesterday!" 

He shrugged and then looked around. "Where's Shinoda?"

"He had to leave early," Rob replied, not looking up from his phone. 

"Ugh, that man. Hold up," he put the phone back to his ear. "Mr. Bennington?" Huh, coincidence much? "Can you play the demo on the phone for us?" Jeff asked as he put the phone on speaker for all of us to hear. 

"Y-yes, of course." Joe nudged me and motioned to the phone. He looked shocked. 

"What?" I whispered as the demo played. 

"Didn't you hear him?" He whispered back as I looked at him blankly, not knowing what he was talking about. "Never mind, just listen." We heard Mike's rapping and then the chorus came to a near. I put my full attention to what this guy could sound like.

"I know all of this will soon be gone. You don't really have to prove them wrong." My heart almost stopped when I heard the voice. The words had come and gone. The chorus was short. I could've imagined it. I listened chorus neared again. "I know all of this will soon be gone. You don't really have to prove them wrong. I know soon enough you'll make them see. You'll be far away from them with me." I looked at everyone else in the room. They all had either a blank expression or a shocked one. Could they tell? Were they all thinking the same thing?

"I know all of this will soon be gone. You don't really have to prove them wrong. I know soon enough you'll make them see. You'll be far away from them, alone with me." The song finished, everyone was trying to process what they heard. The lyrics were perfect. Just what we had been looking for. After a few moments, everyone in the room spoke up.

"Is that him?!"

"How did we...who sent him...?"

"When is he coming?! He has to come!"

Jeff ignored all of us, still talking on the phone, and walked out of them room. "Chester...he's alive," I breathed. Brad looks up at us and speaks up. "I say we bring him over here. He had and still has the voice of Hybrid Theory. Who gives a shit what Mike thinks." Everyone nodded in agreement. "He's still a part of us and I can tell he wants to come back. Why else would he do the demo?"

"How soon do you think he'll be here?" Joe asked. Rob shrugged, "Well knowing Chester, he'll probably be as early as tomorrow." 

I nodded, "He's coming, whether Mike likes it or not."