Chapter 59

Chester

I woke up and groaned. White light was shining all around me. I moved to sit up, but I felt the IV hooked up to me and I didn't make the attempt to move. The nurse by my bed took notice that I was and walked out of the room, probably to go get a doctor.

A doctor does walk in later. He's wearing bright green scrubs. I recognized him as the same doctor that treated the spider bite a got last year.

"Mr. Bennington, how are you feeling?"

"Pretty terrible," I say, rubbing my eyes. "What happened to me?"

"Well," he begins, checking his clipboard. "The reason you had to be rushed in was you were having convulsions in response to a very high fever."

"Oh," I began to remember that bit.

"One of your friends also mentioned you had stomach pains for a few weeks now, pain while you sing. You've throw up a few times, while singing, according to him.

"We ran some tests and ultra-sounds, and we found a hiatal hernia."

"I--What?" I was a bit shocked, but not that much. "How bad is it?"

"We'll, it is a little urgent that we fix it up for you. The hernia you have is allowing the stomach to collide with the diaphragm, stomach acid has just been flowing into your esophagus."

I nodded, biting my lip nervously. "So...So I need to have surgery?" I asked nervously.

The doctor nods. "The sooner, the better."

***

I waited for the nurses to come wheel me into the next room. I was secretly panicking inside. I didn't want surgery, the thought made me anxious that maybe something would go wrong. But I still agreed to get it the same day I was admitted, I was getting really tired of the stomach pain.

I knew the stomach pain would be curable, but what about the damage Rob had done? I shuddered and tried not to remember the burning, numbing feeling that I felt all around me at the time. I hated it. I hated that Rob had to inflict that on me. He kissed me and wouldn't let me go despite my screaming and shouting for him to stop. I couldn't believe he would do that. It was so different from the shy, quiet and kind 14 year old I had met in highschool. Rob had definitely done some growing up too, the whole band did. But Rob had suddenly changed for the worst. He'd grown obsessed with me and it was scary.
I was interrupted from my thoughts as three nurses walked into my room. "Ready?" One of them asked. I slowly nodded my head.

Mike

I rested against the pool table, my arms crossed. I chewed on my lip, occasionally checking the door to the break room. Images of Chester on the ground unconscious and squirming still lingered in my mind. Even the harsh screaming pounded around in my head. I closed my eyes and let out a long, shaky breath. I haven't gone to visit him yet. He had just had surgery the previous day too. I actually wanted to see him so desperately, just to see if he was alright now.

I started chewing on a nail. I was becoming anxious, and not only from thinking about Chester in the hospital, but I was also waiting for Rob to walk into the break room. I had explained my concerns to the rest if the band and they agreed to let me talk to Rob, alone, as long as things didn't get out of hand. I was gonna try my best and not lash out at him. I seem to be prone to that.

A few more minutes of waiting and Rob finally walked into the break room. He put his backpack down on the couch that was on the side of the room and walked over to the mini fridge we had.

I let him get comfortable first, not really wanting to jump him too soon. Rob didn't really look at me much anyways. He was always early to recording sessions and to rehearsals, but for so e reason, he didn't seem surprised that I was there just as early as he was. I had a feeling he was trying to avoid me. After he had a snack and his coffee, I took the chance to talk to him.