Chapter 8

Chester

The EP had been a success. A few months after its release, people on our blog were asking if we were going to release an official album. Mike and Joe were always busy on the computer, answering questions about shows and future music. Now all we needed was for Warner to review the music. We had a week before they have a response.

Right now, I was going over some lyric ideas with Brad. The progress we were making made me feel so excited. "How 'bout 'the way I hurt myself'? Make more sense with the theme were going for," I told Brad as he strummed a few chords absent mindedly. He nodded and grabbed the pencil, re erasing the previous line we had wrote.

"You wanna help Mike?" Brad asked looking up at Mike. His back was at us as he typed away, grunting in response. 

"Mike?"

"No."

"Dude we want you to help. This song could use a little rap," I suggested. He flat out ignored me. I huffed, "God Mike, can't you stop being such little hoe and actually listen?" 

Brad stifled a giggle. Mike turned the office chair and faced me. "You know what. Fuck you."

"Anytime baby. I'm always available," I said sarcastically. He grabbed a crumpled paper and tossed it at me. I turned my head, the paper missing me completely. "Oof, retorting to violence now? Yes I totally want a paper cut."

"Ches, Mike. Stop," Brad pleaded, putting his guitar on the stand next to it. 

"Tell Chester to stop. I'm not doing shit."

"He was just kidding Mike! You didn't need to react that way."

"Yeah, no need to get butt hurt," I mumbled, chuckling softly. Mike growled and lunged at me, his hands grabbing my shoulders and yanking me down. We both collapse on the ground. Our arms are prying each other off and pushing the other. 

"Guys stop," Brad screeches as I roll Mike over and I pin him to the wooden floor. My hands go to his neck and Brad peels me off in time.

"Both of you knock it out! If you two don't stop this nonsense by next week Jeff won't help us! Even he's getting fed up with this!" Brad let's go of my shoulders and I grab my backpack and stomp out of the room. The glass bottles in my bag clank noisily as I walk out of the building. I set my bag down gently and take a bottle of beer out. I set the top between my teeth to pry off the metal disk. It pops open with a hiss and I chug most of the bottle down. I lean against the hard brick walls as I downed the rest of the bottle.

I was seething. Why can't things go back to normal. Or at least when I was happy with Mike. He just pissed me off so much now. I groaned in frustration and flung the bottle towards the ground. The bottle bursted into shards and littered the ground. I huffed and leaned back against the wall.

"Are you okay?" I looked up and saw Rob coming my way. I shrug as he grabs a bottle from my bag. 

I chuckle, "Didn't think you drank Bourdie." 

He chuckled this time, "I don't mind one every now and then."

He popped the cap off the bottle with a small bottle opener and took a drink from it. "I can tell something's bothering you. And I can tell it's Mike." 

I sighed and took out my pack of cigarettes. "Yeah. When is he not troubling me lately?"

"He's been on everyone's minds lately. He's been trying to hard to reach what we've been wanting."

"God I wish we can be together again. Just everything back to normal."

Rob shook his head, "We tried. We did. But he never wanted to call you. I'm really sorry Ches."