Chapter 5

Chester

I took a few deep breaths before putting my phone down. I have to tell her. I ran my sweaty palms against my sweats and slowly got up. I go to the door and hesitate. She's gonna kill me. I open the door and go to the kitchen.

"Sam?" She looked up from the stove. She was cooking a pack of instant ramen for dinner. 

"Hmm?" I scratched the back of my neck and sighed. This was gonna suck so much. "Do you remember Jeff?"

"Oh yeah! That really awesome guy that helped you and Sean get signed into a record label?"

"Um, yeah...about him-" She grinned and turned towards me. 

"Is he coming tomorrow?" She smiled and bit her lip, twirling one of her dreads around her fingers. 

"No. Sam I--" I stopped and put my face in my hands. "I'm so sorry," I managed to say, "You w-worked so hard f-for this a-and-" I couldn't get the words out properly. My voice was shaking so much.

"Chaz? What's wrong?" She came up to me and cupped my face with both her hands. 

"Come on. Breathe." I took deep breaths as she looked up at me with eyes full of worry. 

"H-he sent me a t-tape, a demo tape, s-so I could audition for a b-band. I called h-him and showed him. He said th-they like it."

"Yeah? Chester that's great! What's so bad about that? I thought you wanted to join a new band?" I shook my head. 

"They asked when I c-could go to L.A. and--" I stopped for a moment. I didn't want her to get upset. 

"I told them I w-would be there tomorrow." She stared at me. 

"Why?" She asked quietly. 

"Sam, the b-band. It's th-them. It's Hybrid Th-" I finally broke down and sobbed. She takes my hands into her soft small hands and holds them tightly. 

"Hey, hey. I'm not mad at you. Go to them Ches. You have to. They were family to you."

"Y-you're not mad?" She shakes her head no, "Mad. No. Upset. Yes, a little."

"I'm sorry. You were planning this for so long." 

She smiled, "I know, but this is big. You should start packing whatever you need. I'll make you snacks?" I give her a weak chuckle and nod. "How long would it take for you to get there?"

"A few hours, give six maybe." Sam sighed, "You might have to leave in a few hours then." I nodded and let go of her hands and head to my room. I grab my duffle bag and pack it with all the clothes I own, which wasn't a lot. I move around the room and threw whatever I needed in there. Once I was done I found any loose change and put it into my wallet. I grab my phone from the desk and the demo tape I recorded in case I needed it.

"Ches?" Sam knocks on the door, "Can I come in?"

"Yeah," I open the door and let her in. "Here," she gives me a couple of bills. My eyes widen, 

"Sam no. This is too much!" She shook her head, "I can manage Chaz. You might be in L.A for a while."

"Are sure? I don't think I'll need this mu-"

"Just take it," she says sternly as she walks out of the room. I sighed and stuffed them into my wallet. I grab my clock off of the nightstand and set it to three a.m. I change into more comfortable clothing and hop onto my bed.

***
My alarm clock is blaring and I slam my hand into it, making it sputter and shut off. I grab my keys and duffle bag and throw it over my shoulder. I tiptoe out into the hall and towards Sam's room. I open it quietly. She's obviously asleep, her form sprawled against the bed. I kiss her forehead and tiptoe back out.