Chapter 55

Mike

"So you said no?" Dave said, disappointed. He stopped stirring his coffee and and sighed.

"You had your chance Mike."

"Yeah...but--I... I don't want to mess up again. I don't want to hurt him again..."

Davie blew at his cup and slowly took a sip of his coffee. "Hmm. Well Mike, people mess up, but they also learn from their mistakes. You know what you did was stupid and wrong?"

"Yes," I sigh. I look at my tea and pick up the mug. The steam fogs up my glasses and pull the mug back. "I know it was wrong. It upset me so much when I thought he lied to me."

The toaster pinged and Dave stood up and walked across the kitchen and took the slices of bread out of it. "Cream cheese? Or butter?"

"Cream cheese."

Dave went towards the fridge and took out a small tub of cream cheese. "Well that's all behind us now Mike. He's forgiven you, he's past that. I think all Chester wants now is to be on good terms with you. And be with you again if that's what he wants."

"Yeah but--"

"I mean, you two also had sex a few months ago. It could work again Mike."

My heart dropped and I scowled. "Didn't have to bring it up Phi...," I grumbled.

"I do need to bring it up Mike. With all these things happening between you two, you can't ignore it.

"You couldn't have let that night just happen for nothing Mike. It--"

The front door opened and Linsey walked in, Chester behind her.

"I'm home and we got news," she panted.

"Did you run home? And I told you to keep Chester busy for the next hour!"

She closed the front door behind her. "I know. But I have exciting news!"

"What is it?" Dave faced Linsey, spreading the cream cheese on my toast.

"Chester's going to be a god father!"

Dave almost dropped the butter knife and slice of bread.

"You're pregnant?"

"No! Not me you dork! Sam! Samantha is!"

I looked at Chester who gave Dave a small smile.

"She ran off at the mall, insisting she had to break the news to you."

Dave gave me both slices of toast on a small plate and walked around the island, grabbing Linsey by the shoulders.

"This is why I married you," Dave sighed.

Chester sat next to me at the island. He didn't look at me directly but glanced at me a few times.

"Congratulations," I said. Chester gave me a small smile, barely glancing at me. I bit my lip nervously.

"Did Sam move back over here?"

Chester looked down at the counter and nodded. I sighed. He didn't even want to look at me.

"Coffee Ches?" Linsey asked as she walked back into the kitchen.

"Yes, please."

Linsey brought out two mugs and began preparing more coffee with the things Dave had already left out. Dave had walked out of the kitchen, probably packing.

"Is she going to be living with you again?"

"No," Chester said. "She has family here. Her mom's agreed to get her live there until she can get a place. That and things for the baby."