Chapter Twenty-four

Katelyn's point of view

"Are you cold?" Jacob asked me as we sat on the beach. We were close to the shore, but not enough for the water to touch us.

"Just a bit but I'm fine." I said and shrugged. He nodded and I leaned my head on his shoulder. "So the beach is your go to spot when things get rough?"

"Yeah. I always come here. Life isn't easy." He said and I agreed. "My mum is still dating that asshole and they're always screaming at each other when they're not making out."

"That sounds like Michael and Luke." I said and he chuckled. He nodded and he pulled his cigarettes out of his pocket. "You're going to smoke?"

"I want to but... but I don't want to smoke around you. You'll get sick from that too and I don't want that." He said and I nodded. "That's why I bought those gummy candies, chewing things helps fight the urge a bit."

"Do you want me to go get them?" I asked and he shook his head. "I will if you want." I said and he shook his head again ands he handed me the pack and lighter.

"Hold these for me. Keep them from me tonight." He said and I nodded as I put them in my pocket. "So what happened in that party? Who was it that fucked you up?"

"Luke." I said and sighed. "He... He said he didn't care about me and that I was just some broken little girl. He also said that they adopted me for a dare and only kept me around because it made more people listen to the band."

"That's cold. I thought he was a good guy." Jacob told me and I nodded. "I can't believe them. They're assholes, especially Luke"

"Yeah," I said and sighed. "I guess he wasn't as great as I thought he was. He proved it when he blew smoke at me from some small rolled up thing. It wasn't a cigarette."

"It was probably weed." He said and I nodded. "You didn't breathe it in too much right?" He asked and I shook my head.

"Only when I was coughing, other than that, I held my breath." I told him and he nodded. "Why would they do that to me?"

"I'm not sure," he said and shrugged his shoulders lightly. "Did he tell you?"

"He only said that if he didn't do it, their nudes would get leaked." I said and sighed. "I... I guess I understand..."

"Don't. What they did was wrong, no matter the reasons behind it." He said and I nodded. "You don't just use someone like that. That's a whole new level of selfish."

I nodded and cuddled up into him as a gust of wind blew. I wrapped an arm around my waist and then pulled me closer. "What else happened? Where did you disappear off too?"

"I... I went to look for Michael to ask him something but then I bumped into someone, causing them to spill juice on me so I went back upstairs to change and yeah." I lied and he nodded, not questioning the pathetic excuse.

"I thought something bad happened." He said and I shook my head, apologizing for worrying him.

"You're cold huh?" He asked and I nodded a bit. "Come here." He said and pulled me between his legs.

I blushed and he wrapped his arms around me as he pulled me into his chest. "This is okay right?" He asked and I nodded.

More than okay.

"Yeah." I answered and he set his chin on top of my head. I smiled and stared out at the ocean, calming down a bit as the sound of crashing waves filled the silence.

"We're both fucked up in a way." I said and he hummed. "Your parents divorced and your mum is dating an asshole, then I don't have my real parents but when a couple decided to adopt me, they just used me."