Chapter Forty-one

Katelyn's point of view

"What do you need here?" He asked as I looked around. I went towards the acoustic guitars and then grabbed one. "I thought you don't play?"

"I don't." I said and tried to remember a chord. "Uh, let's try uh G." I said and placed my fingers on what I believe was the right strings.

I pushed down and it was so much easier than the guitar I was forced to play in my old school. I strummed and it sounded fine. "It's not for me." I said and checked the price. It was only a hundred and fifty dollars.

I handed it to Michael and he looked at it. "Is it for Jacob?" He asked and I nodded before going to the counter. I picked up a black capo and then grabbed about five picks. "Doesn't he have one?"

"No." I said and he looked at me confused. "His step-dad owns one, but he doesn't. He wants his own." I said and the guy at the counter looked at me.

"I know who you are." He said and I smiled as I put the things on the table. "You don't seem like the type." He said as he rang up the items.

"Oh, this too sir. Can we get a case aswell?" Michael asked and he nodded as he rang it up. I opened my wallet and then set the two hundred dollars on the counter.

"Where did you get that?" Michael asked and looked at me. He had a risen eyebrow and a hand on his hip.

"Remember that time I went shopping with Bry? Yeah, I didn't spend a penny that you gave me." I said and the man rang it all up.

Michael handed him the guitar and the man gave me a small bag. I thanked him and he left with the guitar. "This is really sweet of you, you know that right?"

"Yeah." I said and nodded. "I just hope he likes it." I said and he nodded ages the man came back.

He gave us the case, which had the guitar in it, and we thanked him. "Merry Christmas, have a nice day!" I beamed happily and he chuckled.

We left the store and I set both of the items in the back seat with my small suitcase. I closed the door and then got in the front. "I have ribbon at the house if you want to out a bow on it or something."

"That sounds like a plan." I said and nodded. "It's red?" I asked and he nodded. "Yeah, I'll do that."

"Time to go to my parents' house." He said slowly and I smiled smally. "I have about a thousand in my wallet, that should be enough for them."

"You don't have to give them money you know. It's your money that you worked hard for. Your their son, not their own personal bank." I said and he laughed as I looked at him.

"It's fine. They need it." He said and I just nodded, not wanting to argue sith something that clearly was not any of my business. "You can call them by their names if you'd like, it's Daryl and Karen."

"Got it, I just got comfortable with calling you dad, grandpa and grandma is going to be weird." I said and he nodded. "Wait, should I have gotten them a present?"

"No, it's okay." He said and I nodded. "This five hundred is from the both of us. It's a present in itself so don't worry about it."

"Okay good. I'm broke." I said and laughed. "Oh, Avril Lavigne? Don't mind if I do." I said and turned the radio on.

"We were meant to be, supposed to be, but we lost it." I sang with Michael as I drummed on my lap. "All the memories so close to me just fade away, all this time you were pretending, so much for my happy ending."

"This is a terrible time to being it up, but this is my theme song. When I ran away from the house, this song was always playing in my head." I said and he nodded. "I'm obsessed with this song."