Chapter Twenty-six

Katelyn's point of view

I swung my legs on the edge for the boardwalk, my legs burning and my chest rising and falling quickly. I was tired and a bit glad that Luke didn't follow me.

This wasn't exactly close to the house you know.

I sighed and pulled out the pack of cigarettes again, wanting another one but not wanting to make Jacob mad. I flipped the lid open and looked at them, feeling only a small pang of guilt as I saw a slot open.

I sighed and pulled one out before grabbing the lighter. I struggled to light it, but when I did, it wasn't as big as a problem as it was when I first did it.

I set the pack and lighter in my pocket and then pushed my hair out of the way, sighing as I remembered I still had red dye all over the blonde strands.

I need a shower.

"Katelyn?"

"Go away." I said, not bothering to turn around. I breathed in the smoke and then blew it out, causing the other person to cough.

"You're Katelyn, the girl Jacob likes."

"Who are you?" I asked and he sat down beside me. "What do to want?" I asked the boy with black hair.

"Your fourteen right?" He asked asked me and I nodded. "What are you doing with a lit cigarette in your mouth?"

"Smoking, what does it look like?" I asked and he looked at me as if he didn't expect such behavior from me.

"Jacob said you're sweet as sugar, he must have fucked up his taste buds." He told me and I nodded.

"I was, well I am I guess. I'm just really pissed off right now." I said and he nodded. "What do you want?"

"I'm Kaleb." He said and I nodded. "He said that you had his cigarettes because he needed you to keep them from him." He said and I nodded.

"Indeed."

"He said he wanted to stop for you because he knows knows the smell isn't pleasing and it'll cut his life short a few years, maybe fuck up his organs and teeth and stuff aswell." He told me and I nodded.

"Cute." I said and blew the smoke away from him. "I'll talk to him about that sometime. Right now, I have a feeling I might light one more because they're making me feel better."

"Light another one, I dare you." A new voice pitched in and I froze as Kaleb turned around. "I fucking dare you Katelyn."

"Okay." I said and then pulled the pack out. I smashed the one I had against the thick wooden beams and then grabbed a new one, lighting it quickly and putting it between my lips. "Do something about it." I said.

"What's gotten into you?" Calum asked me and he stood beside me, grabbing my wrist. He took the cigarette from me and Kaleb reached into my jacket's pocket.

"Nothing." I snapped and then sighed as I looked at the ocean underneath my feet. "Nothing is wrong. Don't worry."

"Never asked if anything was wrong love." Calum said and it just reminded me of when Luke and Michael would call me that. It made me mad.

"Don't call me that." I said and he looked at me. "You're not allowed to call me that." I told him and Kaleb set a hand on my arm.

"He's just being friendly and clearly, you know him already. Calm down." He told me as I took my arm from him.

"I came here to relax and get my mind off of things, not to be lectured and reminded." I said to them. "I don't want to hear it." I told them and it went silent.