Chapter Twenty-eight

-Short chapter because I am running on 3-4 hours of sleep (either no caffeine or sugar) and the good parts aren't here yet... hope you like it despite how shitty it is xx-

Katelyn's point of view

I sat with Michael in his room, my legs crossed as I munched on a slice of pizza. Some movie regarding snakes and rivers and bitchy blonde girls played on the television, despite our lack of attention to it.

"So you want to dye your hair?" He asked me as he grabbed my wet, blonde hair. I nodded and he bite into his pizza. "How about this? When we go shopping for stuff, I'll pick up some hair dye for us two? Would you mind having the same color hair as me?"

"No, not really. Depends what color." I said as I picked a sausage off of my pizza, placing it in my mouth.

"What colors do you like?" He asked and I laughed. "Kidding. How about black and pink?" He asked me and I thought about it.

"Doesn't sound too bad." I said and he nodded. "I'm down. I just have to get this dye out of my hair. It's not permanent, but it is temporary." I said as I grabbed the faded red locks.

"I see." He said and nodded. "We can wait. It won't be that long." He told me and I nodded.

"Can I ask you a question?" I asked him as I toyed with a pendant around my neck. It was shaped like a pair of drumsticks and it was made out of silver.

"Shoot."

"Are you the one who keeps buying me all of this stuff?" I asked him and he looked at me. "Did you buy this all for me? I saw the same exact pink bag in your car and I just thought-"

"I did actually." He said and nodded. "I bought you those necklaces, those clothes, those stuffed animals, all of it." He told me and smiled sheepishly. "That charm bracelet was for you too but I didn't-"

"Why didn't you tell me?" I asked him confused and he wiped his hands on his jeans. "Why did you keep it from me? What are they for?"

"I... I felt terrible for just using you like this you know? I wanted to apologize but Luke would yell at me and tell me to keep it a secret. So, I'd go to stores and buy things on the internet for you because I felt like you deserved it." He told me as he set his plate down.

"Did you think you could just buy me?" I asked, upset at the thought. "That buying me stuff would make me feel better once I found out about this?"

"I was hoping it'd make me feel better actually." He told me. "It kind of did, but at the same time, it made me want to buy you more things because every single hour around you made my stomach twist and turn with guilt and sorrow."

"They're amazing, I'll give you that." I said and he smiled at me. "I love them Michael, I really do."

"I was hoping you would, and I was hoping that you wouldn't find out." He said and I nodded. "I'm so sorry Katelyn, I wasn't trying to buy you at all. I just spent all that money on you because it made me feel better."

I scooted closer to him and then gave him a hug. "I was also such a dick before because I was guilty and I was scared to get close to you. It's silly but Luke wanted to take you back to the adoption center before Christmas came and I just couldn't bear the thought of it you know?"

"Oh." I said and he rubbed my back. "R-Really?"

"He did, but I won't let that happen okay princess? You're not leaving us, even if I end up being your only legal guardian. You're stuck with me okay?" He said and I laughed.

"Okay." I said and he patted my back. "I'm sorry I ended up being really bitchy towards you Michael. I didn't know that to were trying so hard to keep me happy and stuff."