Chapter 29

KAt's P.O.V

I followed Dan until we came to the lake we were at before. It was far away, so nobody would come here and nobody could hear us.

I walked over to the rock next to the lake and stared at the moons relfection on the water. I heard Dan walk towards me and sat across from me on the grass.

He said nothing, he just stayed silent.

I sighed, "You have ten minutes, you sure you want to to waste it saying nothing?"

"Kat." His voice cracked slightly. He must be really upset. "You can't begin to understand how sorry I am."

"Funny, you said sorry before and then you made things worse," I said, still not looking at him. I just looked at the moons reflection on the water.

"I know I stuffed up," he said.

"That's an understatement," I muttered.

"But, Kat, I am sorry."

"I believed you once when you said sorry. You stuffed up again. How can I believe that you really are sorry?" I said, looking at him.

"Kat, you know me," he said. "Look at me and tell me if I mean what I am saying."

I looked up in his eyes and saw nothing but guilt and sadness. I had to look away before I started getting upset.

"Dan, saying sorry isn't going to change what you did." My voice was shaky.

"I know nothing can change what I did," he said sadly. "But you need to know why I did what I did. You deserve to know."

"Yes, I do," I said.

"I did it because I needed to know when the rouges come that you will be safe," he said.

"You don't think I can look after myself?" I said, getting angry.

"I do," he said quickly. "I just needed to know if you're in danger, where I can find you."

"Dan, I don't need you to mark me to make me feel safe."

"I'm sorry. I know you hate me for marking you, but I needed to know you were safe. I couldn't live with myself if something happened to you," he whispered.

"I could never hate you," I whispered. "No matter how much I try, I can't hate you."

He looked at me with a mixture of happiness and confusion.

"I don't know if it's the mark that's making me not hate you or not, but all I know is that no matter how much I try, I can't hate you."

"Kat," he said, bending down slightly so we were at eye level. "Before the rouges come, I need to know one thing,"

"And what's that?" I asked.

"If you can ever forgive me?" he said. "That's all I want-- your forgiveness. You can reject me as a mate if you want. I'll respect your wishes, but I need to know that you forgive me." His voice sounded strained and I knew it hurt him to say 'You can reject me as a mate, if you want. I'll respect your wishes'.

I sigh and looked away from him and towards the water once again.

"Dan, it takes time to forgive," I said. "I haven't one hundered percent forgiven you, but I will forgive you eventually."

He looked at me confused. I chuckled.

"I've slightly forgiven you. Just not fully."

"That's good enough for me," he whispered.

"We'll talk about this more after the fight," I said.

"Kat," he whispered. 

"Hmm...?"

"Can I hold you?" 

"What?" I looked at him. 

"Well, the rouges are going to be here in two days and I'm not sure if we're going to make it," he said. "So, I just want to hold you, because it might be my only chance to see you again."

I didn't say anything I just took a step forward and hugged him. Instintly, he hugged me back.

His hugs were tight and protective; almost like he was trying to protect me from danger with a hug.

"Kat, promise me something." His voice sounded sad.

"Anything."

"Promise me you will stay alive?"

I couldn't promise something I knew I might not be able to keep, but I also knew he wouldn't let me go until I promised him.

"I promise," I said. "I promise to stay alive as long as you promise to stay alive."

"I promise," he whispered.

I felt something warm touch the top of my head and electric sparks went off from the touch. I figured he must have kissed me.

"We should get back before they notice we're gone," I said.

"Yeah," he said reluctantly and stepped back from me. 

I started to walk back from where we came, when I heard him call my name.

"Kat!" he said. 

I turned around, only to have him tackle me to the floor. A scream of surprise escaped my lips and I fell to the ground with him on top of me. I gasped as my back hit the floor and my head collided hard with the ground.

"You okay?" he asked. His vioce was full of concern.

"Yep," I smirked and flipped us over so I was on top. I leand down towards his ear.

"Ready, set, go!" I laughed and got up quickly running towards to the trees.

"Game on!" he called out. I laughed as I heard his thuding of footsteps running after me. 

I dodged the trees eaitly, trying to get away.

Suddenly, I tripped over and fell to the ground. I groaned and tried to get up, but a sudden weight held me down. I turned my head and saw a smirking Max.

"Where were you?" he asked.

"Hiding."

"You did a good job," he said.

"You wanna get off?" I asked.

"Nope," he said, popping the 'p'.

I smirked and flipped us over. I made sure to put all my weight on him... plus extra. He groaned.

"Wanna get up?"

"Nope," I mimicked him and popped the 'p'.

I waited a few more minutes before getting off him and running pass the trees.

"Oh, hey, Dan," I heard Max say. A few seconds later, I heard something collide with the ground. "Not fair!"

"Yes fair!" Dan laughed.

I'm guessing Dan tackled him to the ground.

"Too slow," I heard Dan say. I stopped running and saw he was right behind me. I was about to run again, but he tackled me to the floor.

This is what I love about this game; it's fun and takes your mind off all the stress. That way when the rouges come we're not going to be all frustrated. 

I watched as Dan smirked at me before running off. I quickly got off the floor and dusted myself off, before running after him.