Chapter 48

~~~Author's Notes~~~

Well, look who it finally is!!! @ me. But hi!!!! I've missed you guys so much, I've miss writing so much, but I've really been growing and changing as a person lately and I just couldn't find the time to write this story. It's been a weird few weeks, haha. I hope all is well on Wattpad still?

ALL IS DEFINITELY WELL WITH TO LOVE, WE GOT 250K+ READS LAST WEEK!!!???!!! AND TO LOVE IS CURRENTLY #334 IN FANFICTION ON WATTPAD?!!! I ALMOST CRIED!! It was #131 last night!!

But back to this update, It's totally different than anything I've ever written before. I introduce a new Pov that you won't see often, but every once and a while it'll pop up. I really feel like it'll give you guys a look into who Newt was and how his life was before the maze (through my eyes in my fanfic.) Whether you like the character or not, I'm really trying hard to shed sympathy and understanding onto the 'bad' people in the maze runner series. This is all just setting up for my second and third books.

~~~~~

*Time: A Very Long Time Ago, Long Before The Maze*

~~~Janson's Pov~~~

The top of the newspaper read 'World In Catastrophe Needs Your Help.'

"You aren't still reading that stupid article are you?" Anna asked, disapprovingly from the kitchen as she cooked dinner.

"No," I lied, my eyes reading over the words for about the thirtieth time.

A cure. Guaranteed safety. Become a hero. All adults with a degree in medicine.

"You can't leave us, Janson," My wife poked her head into the room to look at me.

She's right, I couldn't.

"I know," I said, bringing a hand up to my face.

"It seems like the right choice, to work for that company, but you have a family that needs you. And more importantly, one that needs your steady income. You have a daughter on the way, don't forget."

I couldn't just leave, but I had to.

"I know. It's just that you aren't immune, I'm not immune, and our son isn't immune. How can we expect our daughter to be immune?"

"We can't, but there's always hope," Anna sighed.

Truth was, that I had been eyeing this article in the newspaper for the past two weeks. Apparently, either all of the staff in this big company had died or been fired due to a breach in the buildings air system. Now, they needed a new staff team and interviewers were coming to my city tomorrow.

Millions were going to try for a position, because of the guaranteed securities having a government job would include. But how was I going to make the cut?

I'd studied here in the United States and I'd studied abroad in the United Kingdom. That right there in this day and age was enough to secure me a spot. If I could get into this program, so many great things would happen. A cure for the flare could be found. And my children and I could all be brought into a safe place from the disease.

Because even though they wanted working adults, they also wanted super children.

"Janson, are you even listening to me?"

"No," I answered, honestly, as I took a drink from my glass.

Only thing wrong with me in the eyes of this company, could be the fact that I couldn't go twenty four hours without drinking.