Chapter 24

"What?" I gasped, shocked and absolutely dumbfounded.

I was being banished?

"You heard me," Nick clapped once, as he stood from his chair, "Alright, that about wraps up our meeting. It's dinner time, so Keepers you are dismissed."

I was being banished.

Everyone began leaving. They left the room as though they hadn't just scheduled my death.

How could they do that? I couldn't look at these people. They disgusted me. I didn't even want to look at Newt.

"What about Brianne?" I heard Newt ask amongst the commotion of Nick's dismissal.

"Someone will come back for her later." Nick answered, the sound of his voice getting farther and farther away, "Newt."

"Yah?"

"Come on, you must be starving." And with that, the light was flicked off and the door was closed. Everyone was gone.

I was alone, once again.

I felt like crying.

Okay, I take that back.

I felt like sobbing. Nick had just pronounced my death.

Tomorrow. It was happening. I was going to die.

But oddly enough, I didn't cry. I was currently in a state of shock. I didn't physically have tears to cry at the moment. They'd come eventually, though; I was sure of it.

So I guess this was it.

24 hours.

I didn't even know what to do with myself. Do I silently sit here and count down the minutes? Or am I supposed to be happy that this torturous life will soon be over?

I wonder what Victoria will say when she finds out? Or Clint and Jeff? I wonder how Newt feels?

Maybe this is a good thing. Rid everyone of my annoying personality. Obviously, nobody likes me. They voted to banish me.

But who cares, right? It's not like I'm going to miss anyone here.

Lies. Lies. Lies.

I'll miss Victoria's sarcasm. And Jeff's stupid jokes, and Clint's sweet spirit. And Minho's sass. Oh god, I'll miss the sass.

And I'll miss Newt. I repeated that statement over and over in my head. I was going to miss Newt more than anything else.

And that right there was going to kill me faster than the grievers ever could.

~~~~

~~~Third Person Pov~~~

"This isn't right." Karen stated, eyes glued to the screens.

"Don't worry."

"Don't worry? So she's just gonna die?"

"It seems so." Janson answered, passively.

"That's it. All of the work, all of the hours, all of the money spent on that girl; and we're letting her die?" Karen spewed, absolutely furious.

"Yep."

"Newt hasn't changed. Yes, she's given him hope, but he isn't in love and neither is she."

"The plan was never for them to actually fall in love." Janson corrected her.

"I know, but we can't seriously let them banish Brianne this quickly!?"

"We knew she was going to cause trouble, but she doesn't deserve to be put out of the trials, yet," John said.