Chapter 26

~~~Newt's Pov~~~

"You and Brianne?"

"Brianne and I."

Minho laughed, "I hate young love."

"Slim it," I laughed too, "Just because you're a coldhearted shank with no one to love, doesn't mean that I can't like someone."

"I don't need anyone. There's a difference," Minho corrected.

"Maybe the next girl that gets sent up will be into you."

"So I wait- what- four months no thanks. I'll just stay single."

"Your choice."

After a pause, Minho said, "You ask her out, yet?"

"Come again?"

"Have you asked Brianne to be your girlfriend yet? Made things official?"

"No?" Did I have to?

"Bruh, what are you waiting for?"

"The right time?"

"The time is perfect! It's not like your relationship is some big secret."

"It's secret enough."

It really wasn't a secret. I mean, I didn't want it to be a secret.

Did it appear that way?

"We all watched you kiss, it ain't a secret anymore."

"So it was secretive before?"

"Yah, it kind of was. I only knew about y'all because I'm close to you; I see you sneak off and meet with her like everyday."

I don't want Brianne to feel like I'm hiding our growing relationship because I'm not. I like Brianne and I want to let everyone know.

"I do not."

"See! You're denying it!"

"Fine, we do meet.... A lot."

"So why not ask her out?"

I sighed, "I don't know if I'm ready." Truthfully, I didn't want to let someone get close to me again, not after my break up with Amelia.

"Not ready for what?"

"A relationship." I don't want to hurt Brianne.

"What about a relationship?"

"Commitment?" I'm also scared to make promises to Brianne that I can't keep.

"Who are you gonna cheat on Brianne with? Amelia? Please. Thats not really why you aren't ready."

"No, I'm just scared. What if something happens?" I'm fully capable of doing stupid stuff.

"What could possibly happen here?"

"The maze. The grievers. What if something happened?" I wanted to scream. Just scream out about how I really felt.

I was gonna die someday. And I don't want to break Brianne, because I, myself am a bit broken.

If she really meant what she said the other night, that she loves me, then it might already be too late.

Everything is just this inward battle against me and myself. I want to forget everything and just live happily with Brianne, but I want to end my torture too.

I want to make her happy, but I also want to make myself happy.

"Wow, dude, that's enough serious talk for one day. Let's just stick to the basics of you making things official with Brianne."