Chapter 27

"Thank you, Gladers, for meeting here today. We have many things to discuss, so if you would, please cooperate with us." Alby nodded his head, and took a seat, "First in the prosecuting chair is Brianne."

Another glader meeting, all about me. Great. Just the usual, really. This gathering is supposed to finalize my punishment. Why I still had to be punished, I don't even know? I almost died Saturday. That was punishment enough. But no, apparently making me crap myself scared wasn't satisfying enough for the haters. Meaning Nick hates me and doesn't think I'm worthy of acceptance in the glade, yet.

I stood, rolling my eyes, "Gets pardoned of crime; has to have another trial," I muttered under my breath, "My life."

"Huh?" Nick asked from across the room, as I sat down.

"I said, that its great to see your lovely face again. It's been a while," I smiled.

"Alright, So as most of you know, Brianne was nearly banished last week. But due to the realization of unnoticed, unjust judging, she has been pardoned of murder," Alby spoke with a certain underlying anger, "We come here today, to punish her, once again."

This comment sent the group of gladers into shouts of protests.

"Banishment is no longer an option, though?" Gally asked over the ruckus. The tone of his voice implying that he still wanted to banish me.

"Precisely. The death penalty has been removed." Alby answered, "Our extremely honest leader has decided to make up the punishment instead of having a group vote."

I almost laughed at Alby's outward distrust towards Nick, but I was angry so I held my laugh in, "What? You're kidding me, right? That liar almost killed me for something I didn't even do and you're letting him make up my punishment, again?!"

"Shut up," Nick gave me a quick look.

"Oh, heck no-" I began to stand up.

"Stay seated." Alby commanded. Hun please.

I stood, anyway.

"Brianne," Alby warned.

"Alby." I said back, in the same manner.

"Don't test me."

I sat back down. Rolling my eyes, I glanced over at the waiting Nick, "Continue."

"I think that Brianne is very guilty, so death is still an option-"

"But didn't we just agree that-" I was cut off.

"So, instead of an official pronouncement of condemned death, I say we send her on a little mission," Nick smiled at me and then his eyes flicked to one of the Keepers, but I'm not sure who.

"A what?" Someone asked from the crowd.

He's sending me into the maze.

"Brianne is going to be bait for our venture into the maze."

He's sending me on the trip that Newt warned me to steer clear of.

"What venture?" Somebody else asked.

"We're tracking down a griever and Brianne will come with us."

"That's funny." I laughed. He can't be serious.

"Which part of what I just said was funny?"

"I don't know- maybe just the part where it was actual crap." I looked around to see of if anyone felt the same way I did. The silence spoke volumes. Of what kind? I'm not too sure.