Chapter 57

~~~Author's Notes~~~

Heyyy! Merry Christmas to all those who celebrate! I, for one, am one of those crazy Christmas people, haha. But it's been a while since I updated, honestly it's so hard to blend my writing style with James Dashner's writing style. So getting chapters and lines from his book to fit into my fanfic without sounding awkward can sometimes be tricky. It just takes time.

ANYWAY, I brought back Newt's Pov! It's a little short, but it's there. I cover a lot of book in this chapter, so I hope that isn't annoying. And I tried a different set up for Brianne's Pov! Tell me what you think! ILY GUYS!!!

~~~~~

~~~Newt's Pov~~~

Brianne had assigned me to bed rest.

Which on all other days, would have been great- heck it would have been better than great! I would love to get more "days off" like this.

But not now. Not when the Glade was falling apart. Not when Alby, who'd been almost as whacky as Ben, was barely better. Not when Gally had been deemed dead, even though everyone had this odd feeling that he was far from the grave. Not when Thomas was messing with everything and not when the new girl who broke our boxes pattern was still knocked out in the other room.

I didn't wanna be stuck in bed when things were this bad.

But nevertheless, here I was. Could I have gotten up and ignored Brianne's commands? Yes, of course I could have. But that seemed childish, and I needed to start acting more mature.

A knock at the door, interrupted my solitude. More like my solitary confinement, but I won't make things sound too blue.

"Come in," I announced, hoping it was Brianne. Maybe she's coming to tell me that I can leave this room. The door creaked open and in walked a tired looking Alby.

Contrary to my want to be an adult, I was still a little pissed at Alby. He was on the brink of death and he tried to strangle himself. After everything that we went through as friends, he tried to kill himself right in front of me. It shouldn't make me angry, but it did. Alby saw firsthand how devastating suicide is, and yet he still went and did that.

"Newt, how ya' feeling?" He asked, hands in his pockets. Maybe his near-death experience had sobered him. His eyes looked kind.

"Alright," I answered shortly. I wanted to hear this shank out, but I didn't wanna seem too forgiving either.

"Look, Newt, I'm sorry. You knew something bad was gonna happen out in the maze, but I went anyway. For that I am sorry," I almost chocked at his apology.

What? That's not why I'm angry. Does he not remember what he tried to do?

"What?" I finally voiced my confusion.

"You were right," Alby shrugged his shoulders and touched his forehead with one of his hands, "I didn't wanna upset you."

"That's not why I'm upset," I scowled, wishing Brianne would walk through the door and take over this conversation for me. She always knows what to say.

"Oh?" Alby questioned, making me angrier.

"You tried to kill yourself, Alby!" I shouted, but then regained my composure, "You tried to choke yourself with me right in the room. Do you remember that?"

"I- I remember some of it."

"That's what upset me. The fact that you couldn't see how much that hurt me. You should know out of everyone, other than Brianne, how scary it is to almost lose someone like that. And then you went and did it right in front of me!"