Chapter 50

~~~Author's Notes~~~

I love how fast I'm updating, I'm just really liking this story right now. I have so many ideas and I need to get them out of my head, haha.

But HIII, WELCOME, I wrote this chapter a year ago, which is so weird to say, because I barely knew what I was doing last year, OMG. But its true, so this has been a long time in the making. I hope it's everything I want it to be.

SPEAKING OF EVERYTHING, in the end authors note of this chapter, I put in a little sneak peak of "Everything I Didn't Say." It's so weird saying that I wanna write like my own story, but I really do. So I would appreciate if everyone read and gave feedback!! Anyway enjoy!

~~~~

~~~Brianne's Pov~~~

"Newt," I whispered softly. I don't even know if Newt heard me. I barely heard me. My own heartbeat drowned out most of the word.

I didn't want to look at him. I was afraid of his reaction. Two of his best friends and one of his, eh I don't know what Thomas means to him, acquaintances had just died. I mean, they might not be dead yet, but no one has ever survived a night in the maze. And I don't think that law is changing any time soon.

I finally grew strong enough to turn towards Newt. He stood motionless, his eyes hard and cold as they stared at the closed maze doors. His mouth was slightly open, his breathing a bit erratic. He wasn't crying, although I know he wanted to.

I didn't know what to say. I didn't know if I should comfort him or leave him alone for a little bit. I was scared. Scared of what Newt would do to himself. He always felt as though he were to blame for situations like this and that was his greatest downfall. He lacked confidence and assurance. He took the majority of his anger out on himself.

"Will you please go gather the Keepers for an emergency meeting in the council hall?" Newt asked, making me almost step back in surprise. He continued, "Tell them to meet at exactly seven. Not a moment later."

"Uh- yah, whatever you want-" I stuttered, confused. Newt wasn't phased by this? He was just gonna call a meeting? No breakdown?

I had a sharp feeling that this was the calm before the storm.

"Newt?" I asked when Newt didn't say anything else. He still stood unmoving, "Are you okay?"

"Are you?" He retaliated.

"No, our friends just died," I answered, shocked at his indifference.

"I don't have time to mourn, right now."

"You can cry, Newt, it's okay," I soothed, knowing Newt too well. He was a pathological liar to the rest of the world, but to me, he was completely transparent, at the moment. He cared so deeply for people, even though he would never admit that. And with all that had just happened, he was seconds away from a sob fest and I wanted to be with him when it happened.

"I'm fine," He said, finally meeting my stare. His eyes were glazed over, but not with sorrow, with anger. I wanted to massage the tense line between his brows, but thought it better not to, "Please, get the Keepers, Brianne."

"Okay," I simply responded, slowly walking away from his frozen figure.

~~~~~~

"Gally?" I asked, walking up to the table he sat at in the dining hall.

"So Thomas ran into the maze. I always hated him anyway," Gally huffed, looking up at me, "What can I do for you?"

"Nothing for me, for Newt. He's called for a meeting at seven. Please, be on time," I turned to walk away, but Gally grabbed my arm, pulling me back, "What?"