Chapter 16

"Due to injuries, our newbie hasn't been around much!" Nick shouted, hands cupped around his mouth. Smoke rose up from the burnt wood behind him. I stood on my tip-toes, trying to see to the center of the group.

"Which was partially your fault!" I recognized this voice as Minho's, which sounded a few yards, or a few people, to my left.

All of the gladers had gathered around this big pile of wood, for what Victoria had called "The welcoming party." The whole atmosphere set me on edge.

Crowds weren't really my thing.

Nick completely ignored Minho's remark, "Where is our beloved Greenie?" He asked, eyes searching through the crowd.

Victoria gave me a little nudge forward, "I'm going, I'm going."

I brushed past multiple people, making my way to the middle of the circle. I kept my eyes focused on the ground. My cheeks burned from all the stares I was receiving.

Nick's eyes fell on me as I finally made it to the front of the crowd, "In case you don't know her, this is Brianne!" A chorus of cheers broke out, "She's quite the buggin' handful, but I think she's got a good future here." A few more shouts.

Nick came up behind me, his hand placed on my upper back.

He probably thought I'd make a run for the deadheads again.

"I'll kick you, don't touch me." I whispered, as he pulled me closer to where Alby was standing.

"I'll banish you, let me do what I want." He laughed, acting like what he'd just said was totally normal.

So I kicked him.

Okay, I didn't kick him hard, but I gave him a little side-tap in the shin.

"You Little-" Nick started under his breath.

"Alright! We will now ask for the Keepers to step forward." Alby shouted out to the crowd, "Newt, do the honor of passing out the torches."

"What the heck is this, a human sacrifice?" I asked, finding this whole situation weird.

Oddly enough, all of the gladers started laughing.

I was kind of being legit about the matter, but if people thought I was funny, then that wasn't an entirely bad thing.

I've come to realize that everyone here speaks fluent glader sarcasm, but my type of sarcasm isn't as cool, apparently. Nobody gets it.

Except Minho, he understands all sarcasm.

The Keepers made their way to the middle of the circle. Newt came forward a few seconds later, holding in his arms a pile of 'torches.'

They were more like glorified sticks.

But Newt passed them out, a somber look on his face. This seemed to be an important job. Alby did call it an 'honor.'

All hail the Passer of the Sticks.

I waited awkwardly, having no clue what the heck was happening. I assume we're starting a fire, but with these wackos, who knows.

"And lastly, we would like to present the Newbie with the final torch." Nick said, as the gladers started clapping.

"Your stick," Newt gave me a quick smile, as he passed it to me, before quietly adding, "Stick." He winked.

Stick.

The way Victoria had used the term made it sound belittling. She caused me to cringe at the word 'stick.' But when Newt said it, it was funny, cute even.