Chapter 18

"Why hasn't anyone left the glade through this hole?" I asked, lifting up the doors to the box. An abyss of darkness opened before me, "Hello?" I laughed as my voice echoed.

After totally slaying the argument I had with Amelia, I'd ran to Victoria hoping for some comfort. I don't know why I was upset, but I was.

Or maybe I was disappointed.

Alby and Victoria were mid conversation when Victoria glanced over at me, "Are you crazy?" Victoria shouted, throwing her hands into the air, "What are you doing?"

"Just taking a look." I mumbled, leaning closer to the hole.

"Wait," Alby said, his face showing that he was deep in thought, "Why haven't we gone down the boxhole?"

"Because we're not stupid! Who knows what's down there!" Victoria said.

"You're right it was a stupid question, I'm sorry." I said, standing up straight. I left the doors of the box open though.

"About time you realized-" Victoria started.

"Nick!" Alby yelled, before turning back to me again, "Greenie, I don't know why you're apologizin'. That could be our way out!"

Nick came running over quickly, "What is it? I'm trying to have fun. If you were smart, you'd have fun too."

"Why haven't we tried going down the boxhole?" Alby asked Nick.

"Because that's stupid." He answered quickly, getting ready to leave.

"I told you." Victoria scoffed.

"But it really isn't! We've tried sitting in the box, hoping it would close, but we've never climbed down once the box was gone."

The argument seemed to summon the gladers around the box. The sight reminded me of the time when I'd first woken up here.

"If you think it's such a brilliant idea, then why don't we send you down?" Nick peered at Alby.

Here comes the power trip.

"Well- I- I don't know about that." Alby stuttered.

"What's the rush to leave anyway?! We've built a life here. Everything was nice and happy until you," He pointed at me, "came along trying to change things. We are a civilized government. A new age. So why throw lives away by trying to escape? You can't escape this place. There is no way out."

"If living here is so great, why would we want to escape." I said, not caring if someone pushed me down the hole.

I actually wish someone would push me down there.

Nick won't do it, no matter how irritated I make him. But I bet that kid with the nice eyebrows, Gally, would push me.

I rolled my eyes at my ridiculous thoughts, but legit.

I'm going down there.

Somehow. Someway.

"Newbie, if you think you can come here and make things different, then know you're wrong."

I remained silent, staring down into the dark pit that the 'box' once resided. Commotion continued around me, everyone trying to toss in their opinions on the matter.

This had to be it. We came through here so why wouldn't we be able to leave through it. It makes perfect sense.

A little voice in my head tried to speak louder than my hope, "You could be wrong."

But I'm not.

"I'm gonna ask again; Alby, will you go down the boxhole?"

"No." Alby's head hung low, "Well, I don't know, maybe."