Chapter 4 (Newt's Pov)

Switching it up with Author's notes at the beginning because why not?

I really enjoyed writing this chapter. It makes me happy. I tried to write it like Newt would and I'm kind of satisfied with how it turned out. *its probably so off but*

I want to write both Pov's (Brianne's and Newt's) *maybe even Minho's at some point idk just an idea* Because I think it keeps things interesting. But most of the story will be written in Brianne's perspective.

Sorry if it seems like things are moving too quickly. I want to write a lot of details but I don't want to be stuck on the same part forever.

^haha I don't even know if that made any sense.

Oh well, I love all of you, and I hope you're having a good day/week/summer/August/year. Every view on this story means the world to me.

Talk to y'all soon!

~~~~~~~~

~~Newt's Pov~~

I inhaled deeply, taking a good few seconds to breathe in the fresh air of the glade. Manure, trees, and sweat. A bloody lovely scent. It really grows on you.

"Think Nick will come after us with a shuckin' axe tonight?" I asked Minho jokingly as he bent down to re-tie the laces on his sneakers.

"I'll kick his butt so hard he'll klunk his pants if he tries."

"Sure ya' will, always gotta be the tough guy. Minho the Strong. Ya' know, that name has a pretty nice ring to it. I thinks that's what I'll call you from now on."

He brushed off my comment, "I'm so hungry, Frypan's 'food' might actually be appealing to me."

"Still not sure if what we consume is actually edible or not." We walked over to the kitchen, apparently having missed breakfast seeing there was no food out anymore.

"Shuck it, I'll take an apple." I said grabbing two. Minho did the same.

We left the kitchen and eventually found our way to a shady patch of grass underneath a tree.

I sat down, leaning my body back against the rough bark. I watched Stephan and Adam walk a couple trainee runners to the West Door of the Maze. They were taking Minho and I's positions as runners for the day. Nothing permanent. I guess I was just slightly relieved that others would be ready in case of emergency.

"Kinda nice, not having to do anything today." I wiped my forehead with my free hand, as I took a bite of my food.

"Sure, like you'd rather sit here and watch a couple shucking babies take our spots for the day. Real fun that is." Minho rolled his eyes dramatically.

"We're not gonna be here forever. Someone's gotta learn the runners secrets."

"What's that supposed to mean? Man, sometimes I worry about you, then other times I think you're just crazy," Minho looked at me, eyebrows raised.

I shrugged my shoulders, "Words just felt right."

"Well, if you meant that we're gonna find the exit out of this shuck place, then yah, I agree."

"I don't know. Just preparing for the unexpected. Life isn't all that generous when it comes to the time she gives out."

"Nobody's dying 'roud here, especially you. Come on. I mean, what would we do without our beautiful keeper." Minho laughed, throwing his apple core.

"You'd cry every darn day until my spirit appeared and slapped you bloody senseless for being girly."

"Alright, Newt, I'll be waiting for it." A pause. "So," Minho said dragging the word out, "Newbies kinda nice." He smirked at me, trying to provoke a reaction.