Chapter 7

To be perfectly honest, I had no clue what I was doing right now.

I ducked underneath a few branches, my body crashing through the dense forestry.

I didn't glance behind me. I mean, I barely wanted to look in front of me. A few shouts broke out back in the glade, but they were too far away to understand.

I hopped over a fallen tree, ignoring the pain in my leg.

Keep Going. Keep Running. That was my first instinct: to just run until I couldn't anymore. Until I got to the end of the glade.

What will I do after that? I have no clue.

I couldn't just hide in here for the rest of my life. I'd have to face Nick eventually, no matter how embarrassing. I mean theres a good chance he'll banish me.

After a few minutes of running, which felt like an eternity of running, I stopped to take a deep breath, my body already exhausted.

This is why running wasn't for me.

I looked around, realizing it was really dark in the deadheads.

Like nighttime dark in here.

Memories pushed against the empty cavity in my mind. This place reminded me of a scary movie. The way silence clung to the air. The menacing look the trees took on with the lack of light. I kind of feel like a crazy murderer is going to come out and kill me.

"Maybe that was a tad dramatic." I said to myself, a sigh escaping my lips.

So basically what I've learned today is that I can remember every detail of a horror movie, but I can't remember my last name?

That's just great.

Unwanted tears threatened to fall from my eyes.

Don't cry, you aren't sad, you're angry. You've lost your memory, your family, your life.

Actually, technically, you didn't lose anything. Someone stole all that stuff away from you.

Nick mentioned something about 'the Creators taking my memories.' But who were the creators?

If I wasn't being told the basic facts about who sent me here, then what else could the gladers be hiding from me.

I grunted, kicking at a couple of sticks. This whole situation really annoyed me. I was stuck here, in this glade, with some girls who hate me, a leader that wants to make me miserable, and a bunch of teenage guys that I couldn't care less about.

What could I possibly have done to deserve a sentence into this prison?

I don't belong here. I know I didn't do anything wrong. I couldn't have.

I mean, I barely know who I am.

I woke up a few days ago with nothing but a name. How could things have changed so quickly?

Now that I think about it, maybe I'm living in a dream? Maybe none of this is actually happening.

But that was false hope.

As much as I wanted this to be a dream, something told me it wasn't.

So I stood up a bit straighter, loosening my sore muscles.

Inhale. Exhale. You can do this.

I finally found the strength to continue my trek through the deadheads, the ache in my leg never subsiding.

I silently prayed that Nick wouldn't send anyone after me, but then again I kind of wished he would.

~~~~~~~

~~Newt's Pov~~

"Am I the only one who saw that coming or?" Minho said still laughing at the fact that our leaders had already lost the newbie.

Everyone kind of seemed to be frozen in time, as we watched Brianne sprint off, disappearing into the line of trees. Nobody really knew what to do.

"I mean, I might go running away too." Minho was practically rolling on the ground laughing. I silently wished he'd shut up, "Nick! Did you see your face!?"

"Minho-" I started, giving him a sideways glance. At the moment, I really didn't want to get on Nick's bad side. He'd yet to speak or even more for the past five minutes.

"This is the best shucking thing that's happened here in so long." Minho laughed harder and louder, if thats possible.

"If you think its so funny, then go buggin' find her." Nick said slowly.

"Heck no, I ain't doing nothin' today." Minho stopped his fit of laughter, his face suddenly serious.

"Yah, that's a good idea, You and Newt will go after her, since y'all find this situation so amusing." Alby commanded sheepishly, his eyes looking to Nick for permission to give an order.

"Wait a second? I never said any of this was funny." I crossed my arms over my chest, "If anything we should be worried for our Greenie's safety."

"She'll be fine." Minho stomped his foot, almost throwing a tantrum, "Why can't you look for her?"

"We have things we need to do," Nick said, "We don't got time to go track her down."

"Here's an idea, why don't we let her find her own way out." Minho whined, his hands rubbing over his face.

"Lets just go, Minho, no point in bloody arguing." I grabbed Minhos arm and began pulling him towards the trees.

"What if we can't find her?!" Minho shouted at Nick and Alby.

"Have fun!" Nick yelled as he pushed through the doors of the homestead.

I let go of Minho's arm, expecting him to walk alongside me, thankfully he did.

"I don't get why I have to spend my day off looking around the forest." Minho sighed. He was acting quite childish.

"You should be happy we get to go. You might actually earn a chance to chat it up with Brianne," I chuckled.

"Oh yah, I'm so happy."

I stepped into the deadheads as the runners ran back into the glade. It must be almost closing.

I glanced down at my watch: 4:30. Runners were just on time. I watched as Adam led the group of teens to the Map Room.

"See they'd be fine without you leading them," My subconscious reminded me.

"If we don't wanna be out here all night, we better split up. I'll go left, you right?" I asked Minho, quickly pushing my thoughts as far into the corner of my mind as possible.

"Alright, we'll meet back in the kitchen at 5:30, whether we find her or not." Minho said as he walked in front of me and slightly to my right. The branches from all of the trees making him vanish from my sight.

~~~~~~~~~

~~Author's notes~~

I've published and republished this chapter like three times, so I hope it finally goes up. *fingers crossed*

Anyway I know I promised that Newt and Brianne would talk in this chapter but that's not how my writing worked out. I tried to make up for it, by giving Newt a Pov lol.

I don't have much to say other than THANK YOU FOR 1.2K READS!! I WAS SO EXCITED WHEN I SAW THAT!! ILY ALL!!

But yah, that's about it, I hope you guys are surviving your school days And I hope y'all have a fantastic day! Bye!!