Chapter 14

"You know, you play pretty well for a buggin' newbie." Newt smirked, but I could sense he was losing his cool demeanor. We'd been playing this card game for an hour now and I'd won five of the six rounds.

"I do not. I'm pretty sure you just stink at it." I drew another card out of the pile, "See, You might actually win this one."

Newt murmured to himself as he drew four cards, finally getting a red, "Bloody-." He trailed off, and ran his hand over his face.

I laughed placing my final card in the pile; I'd won again. "Beginners luck?"

Newt shook his head adamantly, throwing the cards that had been in his hands on the table.

"How about a rematch?" I proposed, leaning my arms onto the rough surface.

He glanced around the area, probably hoping nobody had witnessed his terrible loss. "Fine, but only because you're the shuck newbie."

"Loser shuffles." I pushed the deck of cards across the table. "It's weird because I remember playing these types of games, you know, with cards. But I don't remember any names or times or people I played them with. It's like all of my memories are gone but my thoughts are complete."

"Yah it's quite odd how that works .." He trailed off seeming to be lost in thought. He grabbed the deck of cards and began to shuffle. His eyes lowered in concentration, a crease on his forehead.

I took this moment to study his features. Blonde hair that was a tad too long, a white tank top that had seen better days, and a face that was innocently sweet. And then his eyes, you don't even want to get me started on his eyes. I couldn't even describe their color. Sometimes Brown? Maybe Green? The candles on the table, reflected off of them, making a brilliant dark color shine brightly.

Newt glanced up at me, holding my stare. I wanted to look away but something held my gaze on him. I don't know what curious part of me caused this but I needed to have a serious discussion with her. STARING AT CUTE GUYS WAS CREEPY.

"You have nice eyes." I blurted out quickly before a look of shock washed over my face.

"Thanks." He smiled sweetly, passing me seven cards. I pushed a stray piece of hair behind my ear.

"I'll try to go easy on you this time." I placed my first card down.

So, we continued playing. My cards were all duds and I felt like Newt was making less and less eye contact with me. Goodness, I ruin everything.

The sky slowly grew darker and the candle shone brighter, Newt and I made small talk.

"What do you think you were like before the maze?" The question came out of my mouth before I could stop it. I guess I really did want to know. I've been wondering what I was like for the past week.

"Haven't given it much thought." Newt mumbled, only giving me a quick glance.

"Come on, I can't be the only one that thinks about it."

"I guess, I hope I was a good person."

"That's it?" I couldn't stop thinking about the endless possibilities of who I could have been before being sent into the glade. I literally could have been a murdering psychopath and I wouldn't have a clue.

I just craved to know the in's and out's of who I was. Did I have any brothers and sisters? Did I live with my mother and father? Did I live in a big house of the suburbs or in a small apartment of a big city?

Was I popular? Was I liked? Did I have a boyfriend or even a best friend?

Does anyone even care that I've been taken away?