Chapter 8

Me and a beetleblade had been having a stare down for the past half hour.

The thing was like a yard away from me, it's little eyes and body unmoving.

"Can I help you?" I asked, giving the stupid thing an irritated look.

It didn't move.

"Why are you here? Would you please quit watching me?" This is what I've resorted to: talking to metal bugs.

"Who am I kidding? You're literally an insect."

As you can probably see, I was avoiding the inevitable future. I'd loitered around the deadheads, all the way past the little cemetery that the gladers had set up.

The cemetery scared me a bit, like People had actually died here.

What even was this place?

I looked over at the beetleblade again, "Maybe you're smarter than I think." I crawled over to it, it's eyes following my every move, "I feel like you know something I don't."

I reached my arm out to pick the beetleblade up. I mean, for all I know the thing could be dead.

"I wouldn't touch that if I were you." A voice said, scaring the crap out of me.

I whipped around, my eyes falling on Newt. He stepped out from behind one of the trees, a smile playing at his lips.

The noises of the beetleblade scurrying away, brought me back into reality.

"You made it run away!" I yelled trying to chase after it.

"Hey- I've been looking for ya' all night, I ain't letting you run off again." Newt's hand wrapped around my forearm. I couldn't get past the odd emotion that came over me at his touch.

"Remove your hand from my arm before I kick you."

"With your hurt leg? Okay, give it a go." Against his sarcastic words, he dropped his hand, "I'm just playin' around."

"I'm not in the mood for games." I took a step away from Newt, my arms crossing over my chest, "Wait, how long were you watching me?"

"Long enough."

I huffed, not only had today been the worst possible day of my life, which wasn't saying a lot because I couldn't remember anything past a couple days ago, but now I had been stalked, "Well leave. I'm pretty busy at the moment."

Newt laughed, "You do know that you can't possibly hide in here forever, right?"

"I'm not stupid."

"Never said you were." Newt shifted on his feet awkwardly.

"Now why can't I touch the beetleblade thing?" I asked, steering our conversation back to me getting the answers I desperately craved.

"Because it'll hurt."

"What? Why? It was sitting with me for a really long time and nothing happened. "

"It just hurts, you don't want ta' mess with one."

"What do they do? Why are they here?"

"It's how they watch us." Newt said, putting emphasis on the word 'they'.

"Who?" Someone was watching us?

"The creators. The people who sent us here. They have those little buggers all around the glade. Actin' like little cameras."

"Why would they need to watch us?"

"I have no idea."

I sighed running my hand over my face. I slumped down against a tree, my knees pulled up close to my chest, "How can you just not know?"

Newt shrugged his shoulders, as he sat down across from me, "Just the way things are."

"Things really suck."

"You're telling me."

"I just don't get this place. We've all been imprisoned here, but we don't know why. People are watching our every move, but nobody knows exactly who's watching us. Doesn't that scare you?" I mean heck, it terrified me.

"Yah, but we're doin' all we bloody can." Newt defended, "It's just taking a bit longer than we would have assumed."

"How long have you been here?"

"Two years." I saw Newt brace himself for my reaction.

"Two whole years? I've barely survived two days." These teens have been here for two years? Why haven't they left yet? What if we never find a way out? "But you're a runner, aren't you supposed to find an exit?"

"It takes a lot of hard work-"

"So you run everyday and still find nothing?"

"We find stuff," Newt sighed. There was no way he was winning this little disagreement, "Just not an exit."

"Well that's a depressing bit of information." I mumbled. The tears I'd been holding in, tried to fall again. I refused to cry though, especially in front of Newt.

"Yah. It's a buggin' nightmare." I looked up at Newt, only to realize that he wasn't focused on me anymore. He was looking off out at the trees around us.

"So this is it? You people, I mean gladers, have simply given up?" I wanted to rip out my hair. How could everyone sit and sleep and eat and not be worried. Not be stressed. Just not care.

"No, not at all. You'll understand eventually." Newt's eyes flicked back over to me. Their color sparkling in contrast to the darkness around us. I suddenly couldn't take my eyes off of him. A heavy sensation taking over my mind. I blinked.

"Don't worry, this isn't going to hurt." The boy Thomas said leaning over so that he was in my line of vision. His fingers were tapping against his leg, the situation obviously equally unpleasant for the both of us.

"Don't be so nervous, we have to lie to make things work." Teresa mumbled to Thomas, before giving me a reassuring smile, "You're doing great, keep up the good work."

I wanted to yell at them both. I wanted to slap them both. But with the machine covering my head and the restraints holding down my body, there wasn't much I could do.

A voice spoke over the intercom, "That's all for now, stage one of the swipe is completed, Tom, Teresa, you are all set to go."

Teresa walked out of the room quickly, but Thomas stuck around for a few seconds longer. He took a swift step forwards so that he leaned directly over me, his face appearing again through the window of the machine. He lowered himself down as close to me as he could get.

"Please, help Newt. He needs you now more than ever." Thomas mumbled quickly, before running out of the room, the door locking closed behind him.

I blinked again.

"What the heck?" My hands grasped onto the ground around me, my breathing heavy. I tore my gaze off of Newt.

"What are ya' doing?" Newt asked, nervously, "All I asked was if you wanted to talk some more."

"Oh, sorry, I don't know what just happened, I-" I took a deep breath, "It's nothing. Now what were you saying?"

~~~~~~~~

~~~Authors Notes~~~

So I saw tmr movie tonight....

OMG I COULDN'T EVEN. I STILL CAN'T EVEN.

It was a great movie *I mean coming from someone who's read the book a solid 7 times, the movie didn't compare* BUT OMG NEWT WAS JUST-

THE MOVIE WAS JUST- I LOVED IT!

Okay enough about that, guys I'm sorry for this late update. I've been so busy. I have volleyball and school like 24-7 and then today was my birthday!!!!! So I've been celebrating and such.

Yah but I'm sorry if this chapter is confusing, I'm going to explain a lot in the next chapter which you can expect to be up in a few days.

ANYWAY ILY GUYS!!! BYEE!