15~ "For the sake of your ex- best friend."

AHANA

Dhruv started talking about Vansh's childhood days, particularly about his friend named Ankit. He is also nicknamed as 'Yellow' since it was his favorite color. They encountered each other at a park when they were just five years old. They met again in the kindergarten class and stuck with each other ever since. Although Vansh and Ankit called each other buddies but to their families and others, they were the perfect definition of a disastrous bunch. They caused trouble wherever they went. They would steal lunch boxes, toys, locked kids in the bathroom, made their fellow classmates cry, brought insects, decorated walls with sketch pens, punctured tyres and the list went on. It wasn't even surprising that they were called as the most notorious pair in the school. Their parents had been called several times and even had been threatened to kick Ankit and Vansh out of school. Instead of feeling guilty, they rather felt proud of it.

"Vansh himself claimed that he wasn't as notorious as compared to Ankit. That guy has some pretty evil ideas in his head. Basically Vansh had inherited those qualities from him. He was quite innocent before," Dhruv said.

Vansh and innocent? Ha, I bet innocent itself would get embarrassed and hide in a corner if associated with Vansh.

I heard from Pragya that back then, their neighbors, teachers and even their parents tried to separate them. But their bond was unbreakable. It wasn't like they only had each other. Infact, both had other friends to socialize with, but were the most closest to each other.

Their parents gradually accepted this fact. If Ankit visited Vansh's house, his mother would prepare special dishes for him in case he stayed for dinner and vice versa. Their families ended up mingling up because of them.

Vansh shared almost anything and everything that came to his mind to Ankit. Similarly when Ankit would be in dire need to show something or simply talk, he would rush to Vansh directly, no matter what time. Whether they had school or not they met each other everyday. They knew they were best friends but preferred not to spell it out as it was too unmanly for them. Vansh's parents often worried about the possibility of their precious son turning out to be gay because of Ankit. They even confronted him once, adding to his discomfort. That was the most stupid and senseless argument Vansh had in his life. His parents sure are funny.

Their friendship continued to blossom until they were teenagers. They stayed in the same school for the past nine years. 

I listened keenly as Dhruv and Pragya recited stories of Ankit and Vansh as if they had known Ankit personally. At the same time, I was afraid to hear the rest as I knew it wouldn't end well. What could possibly go wrong when everything was so perfect? Coming to that, I was still finding it hard to understand how it was related to what I wanted to know. I decided remain patient.

Dhruv continued his expression growing grim by the minute. "Ankit and Vansh did many things together and-"

"Heh, like what?" I cut him off and smirked.

Dhruv gave a tight lipped smile. "One of them included performing magic tricks. Both of them shared a mutual interest in it. They often performed in front of their parents and friends. As kids, they imagined to become first class magicians and travel the world. Sorry to break your fantasies," he said looking me with pity.

"Don't be. I'm used to it by now," I replied.

"You know about the annual day that schools hold each year. Both of them decided to participate in it.  They had already performed on stage two years back but they wanted to win the contest this time. It was a talent competition of some sort. They were in eight grade that time," Pragya said while scratching her finger at the side of the forehead.