35~ "We'd be riding the awkward train."

G L O S S A R Y

Bhai, Bhaiya- Brother

Didi- Big sister

Mummy/ Ma- Mother

Papa- Father

Dilwale dulhaniya le jaayege, Ram Leela- These are some Bollywood movies with a common theme of parents coming in between the couple or disapproving of their relationship.

AHANA

Imagine a generic scenario.

If an Indian boy's and girl's parents, happened to meet face to face then what were the consequences? Here were some of the options--

Dilwale Dulhaniya le jaayege.

Kabhi alvida na kehna.

Two states.

And if worse comes to the worst- Ram Leela.

I refused to accept this. I don't think our lives could be as dramatic as these movies. But that doesn't mean that it wouldn't be drama free too. This week was going to be a game changer for me because, today will be the day I'll meet Vansh's family-- His parents and his thirteenth year old brother. Two days after, I'll meet my parents. To be honest, I still find it hard to believe. I had invited them to visit me several times before but something or the other had kept them rooted to their place. I wasn't hoping for anything when I called them this time but surprisingly, they called me back two days before saying they will visit Canada. I was overjoyed.

Maybe then I'll introduce them to my friend's parents.

"Vansh and I had finally decided to escalate our ever budding relationship to yet another level," I announced it in front of my friends.

"I'll meet their parents and ask their daughter's hand at marriage," Vansh said, seeming as serious as ever. He extending his hand towards me and I took it, raising it to the level of his chest.

"Are you serious?" Pragya asked, not seeming surprised by our public declaration of love.

We jerked our heads to her direction. Vansh withdrew his hands from me and hit his chest. "A man ought to be serious sometime. For me, it's now," he replied dramatically.

"Oh, Vanny," I cooed and pulled his cheeks before turning to Pragya, smiling. "I even planned our honeymoon. It's in Antarctica. We'll build our igloos and sleep with the penguins."

"Do you think they are telling the truth, lofty?" Lisa asked as she clung onto her boyfriend's arm.

"Not at all, shorty. Believe me, marriage is the last-est thing on their minds. They-" Dhruv directed his hand at the two of us like we were insects, "thought it was a systematic way to kill time while we wait endlessly for our parents. Quite vexing, I must say."

Lisa looked up at him like he was Chris Hemsworth. "You couldn't have put it better, Dhruv. Ah, I love you," she said those last three words-- something she already mentioned two minutes ago.

"I love you too, Lisanna," he said like a proud, old man. Guess what they did next? They brought their lips for yet another kiss. (Even though it was short) Pragya let out a sound of utter disgust and covered her face with her hands. Poor girl.

And people say Vansh and I were cringey. How judgmental.

"If you two don't feel shameful then atleast think about this unfortunate girl who is cursed by the stars to watch her dearest cousin kiss. Stop it please," she pleaded. She looked like she would cry if she saw them kiss again.