0.40

Friday 6th November 2015. 1pm, Sairah is sitting on the school field eating lunch.

"John stop blocking the sun."

"As you wish, your highness."

"The sarcasm is uncalled for."

"I was thinking, about The Great Gatsby."

"I really don't care."

"Well, Gatsby tried so hard to win Daisy's heart."

 "He lied, he put up an act. Pretended to be someone else, that isn't right. The whole relationship was be based on Gatsby's lie."  

"But, what if he just wanted Daisy to see him differently?"

"Still doesn't justify why he lied."

"What if the lie was him just trying to help her?"

"Did it help her? She ran off with her cheating Husband after Gatsby died."

"Guess it didn't help her."

"I reckon, he wasn't in love with her."

"What do you mean?"

"He was only in love with the his memory of her. The old Daisy he use to know, I guess he didn't take in account that the old Daisy would grow up and change. Maybe he is stuck in the past."

"Aren't we all?"

"What?"

"Stuck in the past."

"The past is hard to get rid of."

"And the future is hard to get a hold of."

"Exactly. Gatsby was a fool."

"And Daisy was an idiot."

"Aren't we all?"

"What?"

"Fools and idiots."

"..."

"My oh my, did we just have a nice conversation?"

"And this is where our insults begin."

"The world must be ending."

"And on that note, I better go off to class."

"Wait, Sairah!"

"Yes John?"

"Gatsby might have been a fool but we are all fools, when we do things for the people we love. He lied about his identity, but he only did that because he had this unconditional love. People make mistake but it is all for their love ones, even if the actions may be wrong."

"That doesn't mean we should be forgiving John."

"I guess but-"

"John from now on we should forget everything. Let's forget about this week. Ignore each other, go back to how things were. We finally had that nice conversation you wanted, now you can stop. Bye John."

Later in the day, after school Sairah is walking home but John catches up with her and walks beside her.

"Did you not listen to the very clear instruction I said earlier at lunch?"

"You were too far away, what nonsense did you say?"

"I want things to go back to how they were John, when we ignored each other's existence."

"Sairah-"

"I mean, you are suddenly talking to me. Even when no one knew what your Dad was doing, we never spoke. Some of our classes were the same but we never spoke to each other, never even shared a glance. We never uttered a word to each other. Even during the trial, we didn't see each other. I didn't even see you in court. We never acknowledged each other's existence before and after the trial. But, this week you have been making the effort, why? What has changed?"

"I don't know what answer you are looking for."

"I want the truth; I want you to be honest. Is Michael putting you up to this? You are pretending to be nice right? Use me like he did, right? I am just a toy, object to his enjoyment, right?"

"Sairah, you aren't-"

"Stop being nice to me, stop it. All this week, you have spoken nicely to me and it reminds me of your father. Once upon a time, he was nice and look what happened after."

"I am not him, why can't you get that?"

"Why should I? You hated me for so long, don't deny it. This must be a ploy, to get back at me. Get some revenge, go ahead. Get it over and done with."

"What?"

"The revenge, the ploy that you created for your Dad. Or, it could be what your Dad created for you to do. It doesn't matter who created it. Just go do it. Go ahead do it because I am sick and tired of looking over my shoulder John."

"Sairah, I am not here to get-"

"I am sick and tired of wondering how he will get me John, I am sick of being scared-"

"Sairah, you don't need to be afraid. He is locked away, he won't get you-"

"He is locked away but his son is right here in front of my eyes. What do you want from me John? Do you want me to beg? Like how I begged him to stop."

"Don't-"

"Do you want me to cry? Like I do every night because I can't close my eyes without seeing him. He is gone but I am still haunted by the memories of him, his touch, his voice, his breath, his existence."

"..."

"Do you want me to be broken John? Don't worry, I am already broken."

"..."

"Please just tell me what you want from me."

"I stole your notebook."

e n d  o f  p a r t  o n e

 [1] This is part one of the story, part two will be out soon. I thought it would be nice to make it into parts so you all have just read part one. Thank you. 

[2] You all thought part one was an emotional roller-coaster, wait until you guys read part two! For now, enjoy this cliffhanger. Stay lovely!  

[3] Thank you to everyone that read/voted/commented/shared/promoted on this story. You are all lovely.