0.30

one year later...

"Guess what Sairah?"

"Why are you calling me this late?"

"Don't you mean, why is this fine young man calling you this early?"

"I am going to break your face, why are you calling me at two in the morning?"

"Aw, did I wake you up?"

"Do you want me to block you?"

"You wouldn't dare-"

"Try me."

"..."

"Wait Sairah don't!"

"What do you want John? Can't you call me back later? At a decent time?"

"Are you indecent right now?"

"I will break your face."

"Okay okay, just wanted to say happy birthday you fountain of pee."

"What?"

"Sairah, did you forget that it is your birthday?"

"Ahh it is! It is my birthday."

"So what is your birthday wish?"

"If I tell you, will you actually make it come true?"

"If your wish is for a handsome, humble, modest boyfriend then sure, I have someone in mind."

"I'll pass on that but seriously, will you make it come true?"

"I will, tell me."

"Promise?"

"Promise, now tell me."

"Talk to your mum."

"Sairah, come on don't waste a wish on something silly like that-"

"You promised. Come on, she has been calling me asking for updates about you. Life is way too short. I have already made up with my Dad, he has actually been great."

"Ah, Sairah I was going to tell you after your birthday but I already am way ahead of this, planning to have a dinner with her and her family."

"Really? That is great."

A loud knock from the front door, quickly Sairah jumped out of bed with the phone in between her shoulder and ear. She grabbed her dressing gown and rushed out the door.

"Hold on there is someone at the front door. What kind of idiot would come at this time?"

Tying the gown up, she opened the door tentatively to see John, cheekily smiling down at her.

"I guess I am the kind of idiot"

"Also a pile of poop, what are you doing here?"

Smiling from ear to ear, he revealed his hands that were hidden behind his back and there it was, her notebook.

"My notebook?"

"Happy birthday Sairah."

Later that day, they burnt that notebook. They watched the fire roar with life as it burned the paper, the words, the meaning, the past. Sairah was no longer a bystander, watching her life deteriorate. She was the survivor, ready for the next battle. While John, held her hand tightly ready to give the support she had given him. They no longer were the victims of a monster, they were each others lifelines.

THE END

Author note:

To put this simply, thank you for taking the chance on this book.