0.27

John's legs ached but he didn't care, his eyes were watery but he didn't care, his hair was a mess but he didn't care. Nothing seem to matter in that moment.

"She came back."

He swallowed, even with all the distance between them, he still felt suffocated.

"I thought she wouldn't come back..."

John's legs gave out, his knees hit the concrete hard. It was surely going to leave bruise but he was oblivious to the pain. His hands covered his face as he silently sobbed.

"It was like she was expecting me to be who I was before, the naive son she left behind. The boy who held onto every empty promise she gave me, the boy who believed the rapist, that stupid boy who thought that the broken family could be mended."

Using the sleeve of his dirty shirt, he wiped his face vigorously and laughed. It wasn't his usual, heart warming, contagious, laughter. It a gut-wrenching, heart-shattering, forceful, mocking laugh.

"I am not that boy any more Sis."

Lightly he touched his sisters grave stone; he was scared that his touched would be like his fathers, taint everything that he touched without a cause.

"I am not him Sis, please believe me."

His mind was pulling him in and out of reality, he remembered the look his mother gave him, a few hours ago, it wasn't how she looked at him before when he still had his youth, she gave him the same look she gave his father. Disgust masked with fake adoration.

"I don't want to hurt anyone like he did Sis. I don't want to hurt anyone."

But, in that moment, sitting at the graveyard, holding onto his sisters grave stone for dear life, he felt like his father. A monster.