0.28

One cut, two cuts and three cuts more. 

"It was everywhere."

Four cuts, five cuts and six cuts more.

"I couldn't see the skin."

Seven cuts, eight cuts and nine cuts more.

"All I saw was bruised flesh."

Ten cuts, eleven cuts and twelve cuts more.

"Scars that were too deep."

Thirteen cuts, fourteen cuts and fifteen cuts more.

"Blood stains all over herself."

Sixteen cuts, seventeen cuts and-

"John, why did she do it?"

"What?"

"It wasn't car that took her life-"

"She took her own."

"Why?"

Bile was rising in his throat but he bit it back. His sister was just like Sairah, just like you, just like Sairah. She was, she was just like Sairah.

"She sneaked out of the house, it was dark, it was late. She wanted to go on an adventure, but he found her. Some drunk idiot found her, some drunk idiot found her and took her away."

"What?"

"For three days, she was gone. Three days Sairah, three days."

She reached out for his hand, but he shook his head. No, he needed to do this, he needed to say this.

"That drunk idiot took her away from us, away from me, for three days."

A strangled sob tried to escape, whether it was John or Sairah, they had no idea. They both looked as distressed as each other.

"They found her, the police did but she wasn't the same. She didn't want to hug me, she didn't want to talk to me, she didn't want anything. The drunk idiot was sent to life imprisonment and she killed herself the night it was announced. Her body was covered in cuts."

"John-"

"I couldn't even recognise her. She lost so much weight, she was fragile, she wasn't the same."

Without hesitation, he grabbed onto Sairahs waist and pulled her close. He buried his head in her shoulder and cried.

"I am sorry for calling you out here, I am sorry for making you listen to me, I am sorry for what my dad did, I am sorry for taking your notebook, I am sorry, I am sorry. I am sorry Sairah."

She did not cringe, she did not shiver, she did not feel that repulsion she usually would, but instead she pulled him closer and rocked him back and forth. Words were not needed to show how she held no anger towards him, words were unnecessary. They sat like that, on the ground near his sisters gravestone, no one spoke, only the silent tears fell.