7 // "We're a family"

Kim J opened the door. "Amelia, my office. Now."

I walked over to him and followed him, not even looking at the boys. It was a long, silent walk to his office before I followed him in and he shut the door behind me. "Sit down." I obeyed.

"I don't deal with a lot of your kind, but I hope you know they don't last long. I don't have to be stupid to know you're a fan."

I didn't say anything.

"And you should know the rules. Kai came very close the other day. But I will ask you only one time: have you broken any rules?"

I exhaled, thinking about Chanyeol. "Yes."

"Yes?"

"Yeah. We made out. That's all."

Kim J looked at me. "I didn't think you would be honest."

"I want to keep my job. I don't want to keep it by lying." Even though eventually I would.

"You have to know you can't keep going like this and be a manager. Most managers don't care about their band. I need you to be more like them. This is your first warning. Next time, you're fired."

I nodded.

"But I won't let you get off with a warning. Because of you, they will have to work harder today. We're going to expand the cardio time and have a night dance practice. They'll love you for it." He laughed. "Anyway, its about time for lunch. I would stop sitting with them if I were you."

I got up and walked out. By the time I got to the dance room, they were being released and walking out. "Hey," Kai said, gently holding my arms with his sweaty hands. "Are you fired?"

"No. Next time I am." I noticed how Baekhyun, Chanyeol, Tao, and Xiumin stuck around to hear what happened. "And you can stop blackmailing me because I told Kim J everything," I said quietly to Kai.

His eyes widened as he stepped away from me. "Oh no. If you didn't get fired for that.."

"I'm so sorry," I said, and walked away from them to the cafeteria. I quickly got my food and sat by myself, only to have them join me a few minutes later.

"I was about to collapse," Xiumin said to me at the table. "So thank you for getting us that water break. Really."

I nodded, shocked that he was actually speaking to me. "I don't want you guys to hate me. I want to help you, but when I do, it will only make things worse."

"What?" Xiumin asked.

"Because of her, we have to work harder today. What, more cardio? Another dance practice?" Kai asked me.

"Both," I said quietly.

"Both?!" Kai exclaimed, and the other boys exhaled.

"I'm so sorry," I said. "I'm trying so hard."

"To kill us, right," Kai said.

"Kai, she didn't do it on purpose," Chanyeol said. "No manager has fought for us like she did in that practice room."

"Wait..are you a fan?" Xiumin asked me. 

"Yeah, and I'm definitely not supposed to be," I told him. "Kim J knows."

"Which is why he assigned us cardio and another dance practice," Xiumin realized. "Makes sense."

"I'm so sorry," I said again, running my hands through my hair.

Kai was the first to get up and leave, and Chanyeol went after him. It didn't take long for Tao and Baekhyun to leave the table too, but Xiumin stayed. "You should leave too," I told him.

"It's okay-"

"No, actually Kim J said I shouldn't sit with any of you," I said, refusing to make eye contact with him.

"Listen, I don't care what Kim J says."

I looked up at him. "Well, you should, because eventually this job is going to be out of my control and I will end up hurting all of you. I don't want to be responsible for another member leaving Exo.."

"Stop. Okay? No one's leaving Exo. Yeah it's exhausting and it's probably shortening our life spans, but we're brothers. We're a family." Xiumin looked at me. "I want to take you somewhere."

"What?"

"I was so rude that first day. I want to pay you back for dinner. It's on me."

"Oh my gosh," I said, feeling my cheeks get warm. I felt like screaming. "I don't think that's allowed, Minseok."

Xiumin smiled. "Tomorrow night, meet me at the SM Building's parking garage. I'll drive us to someplace nice."