26 // "I don't want to lose you"

We spent the first few days at my parents' house sleeping. Even though I was now an adult, my parents made Xiumin stay in the guest room and I stayed in my old bedroom.

I came down for dinner on the third night. "So..that..Xiumin? That's how you say his name?" Dad asked. "Is he going to wake up, ever?"

"His job is very exhausting," I explained. "I didn't really think he would want to do much while here. He needs his rest before comeback week."

"We are worried about you too," Mom said. "We've done our research. That can't be a good environment to work. It seems abusive and traps people. Do you feel trapped?"

"Uh," I hesitated. "Here's the thing. Working at SM Entertainment looks really good on a resume."

"Are you going to stay in Korea?" Mom asked me.

"I don't know yet," I answered.

"Because of Xiumin?" Dad questioned.

"What?" I asked. "I don't really think that's anything serious."

"Honey," Mom said. "You're 21 years old now. Your sister is 26, married, and with a third child on the way. Your dad and I had you girls late. We're not getting any younger."

"What are you saying?" I asked. "That I should marry Xiumin?!"

"Your sister was married by your age," Mom acknowledged.

"I do approve of him," Dad said.

"Okay. I can't take much more of this conversation," I said, standing up and putting my dishes in the sink. I walked upstairs to my room, but heard movement as I climbed the stairs. I looked into the guest room to see Xiumin stretching, sitting up. "You're awake," I acknowledged, coming in to the room.

"Yeah," Xiumin said. "I'm wide awake. We should do something."

"You've grown up in the city all your life, right?" I asked.

"Right," Xiumin said.

"Okay, let's go," I said, and grabbed my keys to the car and a few blankets and pillows. Xiumin followed me out of the house, and to my car.

"Where are we going? Should I change?" He asked, acknowledging his tshirt and athletic shorts.

"No. You look hot," I said.

"What?"

"What?" I laughed. "Just get in the car."

We both got in, and I drove out to the country and found a gravel road and then parked off road a bit. "What are we doing?" Xiumin asked as we both got out of the car. I grabbed the blankets and pillows and laid them on the ground. I laid down, and patted the spot beside me for him to lay down beside me. "What are we doing?" Xiumin asked again.

"Look up," I said.

"Oh my gosh," he said. "Those are stars."

I laughed.

"You normally see them here?"

"Yeah." I smiled. "I got the idea when we were in Seoul and I realized you can't see the stars in the city."

"Thank you." Xiumin looked at me. "Really. Thank you."

I looked back at him, our faces only inches apart. "You're..welcome." My heart started racing as we looked at each other in the eyes.

"I haven't kissed you in so long," he said, his eyes flicking up and down from my lips to my eyes. His hand touched my face, and he leaned in.

"Minseok," I muttered, moving my head so he would only kiss my cheek.

Xiumin retreated and exhaled disgustedly.

"I'm sorry."

"What's with you lately? You're pushing me away," he acknowledged.

"I don't mean to.."

"Do you even still like me?" Xiumin asked.

"Yeah, I do-"

"Good, because I'm crazy about you." Xiumin suddenly sat up and got to his feet and took my hands and pulled me up to my feet as well. He continued to hold my hands so I would focus on him. "I don't care about anything anymore. I don't care about my reputation, getting more lines, or anything dating you might impact. You are all that matters to me. I'm so in love with you, Amy, and I need to know why you're pushing me away."

I was shocked. Love?? He was in love with me?! "I just.."

"I heard you and your parents talking. Why wouldn't you marry me?"

"Because you're so famous," I said. "I'm nothing compared to you. We come from such different lives. And..I guess I'm still learning to trust you. I guess deep down, it doesn't matter how much I like you and how much I know you like me, I'm so afraid Kai is behind all of this."

"How can you even say that?" Xiumin asked.

"Because it happened multiple times before!"

"You're right," Xiumin said.

"Why me?" I asked. "Why would you pick me? Why would you be in love with me?"

"I didn't plan to fall in love with you," Xiumin said. "I hated you, remember? But you're the only one who has stuck by me so long, supporting me, and thoroughly concerned about me. Like when I passed out during practice.. You were there. I don't want to lose you, Amy."

"Why would you lose me?" I asked.

"Because what I'm about to do.. It will be a scandal. I'm going to get you fired if you say yes."

My heart was racing again.

"Amy Lawson, will you be my girlfriend? Like actually make this official?"