24 // "This is normal"

It was hell week.

I got written up twice when Lena and Lyn, the choreo coaches caught me faking taking notes of what they told me. I thought Sehun was dancing just fine, for instance.

It was the last day, and it would be the hardest day. I kept an eye on the clock while praying the boys would practice well so I wouldn't have to write about anyone. Each one of them had been working so hard this week, they didn't need more.

Lay had returned from filming his movie in China, and the sudden switch to the abusive and intense environment had caused him to get sick.

"Can we have a water break?" Xiumin asked.

"Nope, not yet," Lyn said. "Not until each one of you get this part right. Lots of slacking today. Do we need to take away your vacations to work on this? Comeback week is approaching and you want this clean!"

"Fine," Xiumin muttered, walking and stretching out his arms. He was wearing a bro tank and his arms looked so muscular, I couldn't help but stare.

"Back from the top!" Lena yelled.

But while staring at Xiumin's biceps, I noticed his face. While dancing, his face turned pale and he was getting clumsy. "Get your head into the game, Xiumin!" Lena shouted above the music playing and the squeaking of the shoes.

"No," I said under my breath.

Then I noticed Lay just as pale and clumsy, but he walked out into the hallway. Lyn pointed at me to go after Lay and bring him back in.

I walked out to the hallway to see Lay bent over, throwing up in the trash can. I exhaled, making sure I would only breathe through my mouth, or I would need that trash can next.

Lay groaned and sunk to the floor, laying down. "I'm so sick," he muttered.

"I know," I said. "The day is almost done. I won't write this down."

"You have to. And I have to make up for it in cardio. You've already been written up twice this week for us. Let me take some of the weight, okay?" Lay asked.

The music abruptly stopped in the dance room, and I heard shouting. "Give him space!" That was Lena's voice.

"I'll be back," I said to Lay, and ran inside. I saw Xiumin collapsed, unconscious, on the floor. "Minseok!" I screamed, and rushed to his side.

"Leave him alone!" Lena exclaimed. "He just passed out. He'll wake up in a few seconds."

I ignored her, and checked for a pulse anyway. His heart rate was way too high, even after being so active.

"Will you just give him space?" Lena slapped my hand away.

I stood up, facing her. "I can't believe you're so chill with people passing out. These boys need a break. A water break, at least. Lay is outside sick."

"You want to be responsible for these boys failing in the music industry? Be my guest," Lena said.

Xiumin stirred, and I was once again by his side. "Are you okay?" I asked.

Xiumin looked at me, seeming confused and disoriented. "I fainted, didn't I?"

I nodded.

As I was helping Xiumin back up to his feet, Lena said, "everybody, here's a perfect example of how you get more lines by sleeping your way to the top."

"What?" I asked.

Lena laughed. "Do you not understand English either?"

"Wait," Kai said. "You two are sleeping together?"

We had everyone's attention, but obviously Kai was the only one brave enough to ask the question. "No," Xiumin said. "We're not sleeping together."

"Is it because she was concerned about Xiumin passing out?" D.O questioned. "Because she was with Lay when he was outside. She's just not used to seeing this side of us."

I gave D.O a "thank you" glance, and he nodded. But then Kai said, "nah, I don't know. There definitely seems to be something going on between them."

"Then there must be something going on with Lay and me," I said sarcastically, "because I'm going to go check to see if he's still alive out there." I walked out into the hallway, where Lay was still on the floor.

"Everything okay in there?" Lay asked.

"Yeah, Xiumin just fainted."

"You know that's a normal thing, right? I mean, I can't believe you haven't seen anyone faint by now. It happens like once a week, usually," Lay said.

"It shouldn't be normal. That's not supposed to happen," I argued.

"Oh, we know," Lay said. "Since you just mentioned Xiumin, what have I missed since being in China?"

"What do you mean?" I asked.

"You can't tell me there's nothing going on between you and Xiumin. There's way too much tension between you two."

"You need to get back in there," I told Lay. I held out my hand to help him up.

He glanced from my face to my hand, and then slowly extended his hand to grab mine so I could help him up. "Thanks," he muttered.

Lena pointed at me when I walked back in with Lay. "Make sure you write about both Lay and Xiumin. Extra cardio tonight and individual practices."

I exhaled and nodded. I didn't look at either of them because I knew it would hurt me to see their exhausted faces.