11 // "It's easier to make promises when life is good"

"Yeah, come in," I said, wiping my tears from my face. Not that D.O couldn't already tell I had been crying.

"Are you doing okay?" D.O asked.

I looked away from him. "You know, I don't need anyone else to fake being nice to me."

D.O muttered something and closed the door completely behind him and walked in  to sit on a chair facing where I was sitting on the bed.

"I didn't catch what you said," I said.

"Of course you didn't. I was speaking Korean."

I rolled my eyes. I really needed to learn Korean to keep up with everyone around here. "Why?"

"Because I didn't want you to know what I was saying," D.O said. When I rolled my eyes, he quickly started talking to explain. "I swore, okay? I'd do it in English but I didn't know if it would offend you."

"Oh. No, it doesn't." Why would it offend me? I was letting things unprofessionally slip all the time. 

"Okay. Let me explain something. At first, I wasn't thrilled about a new manager. No one was. Then you proved to have a good heart and everyone still hates you. But I've had it well in Exo." D.O shook his head. "This sounds really bad."

"No, go on."

"It sounds so conceited and I hate myself for thinking it."

"It won't be repeated. Just say it," I said.

"Okay, well, I'm a main vocalist for one thing. I get many lines whether I try for them or not. I learn quickly, and so I'm not constantly forced to have extra practices like...Sehun, for instance. And I'm not Chinese, so I'm treated very well by SM Entertainment. Or like Chen and Xiumin - who aren't Chinese but are in the group... They're still not treated well."

"Okay," I said, "let me see if I understand: I should be able to trust you because you have no reason to hate me?"

D.O nodded. "Correct. Same with Baekhyun. He doesn't mind you."

"Okay," I said.

"What happened with Xiumin? I've heard stuff but I don't know the real story."

"Xiumin is my bias. Xiumin found out and Kai convinced him to take me out on a date and kiss me to make me feel obligated to be a better manager. I heard them talking and this morning I told Kim J that they were doing awful so they would get less lines. Then this afternoon pictures from last night were leaked. Xiumin hates me, always has, always will."

D.O nodded, comprehending. "So why was Xiumin your bias?"

I shook my head. "There was something about him. I just remembered his face. He always seemed like the sweet, yet strong and protective kind. He always seemed so positive to me and..I don't know, I just looked up to him. Now I don't know what to think, but I'm loyal."

D.O nodded. "Listen, I think Kim J likes you. That's probably a bad thing, but basically that means you'll be with us for a while. Xiumin just has trust issues.. He and Luhan were close." He exhaled. "Once lines are dished out and we finally record the song, life will get better."

"Thanks, D.O."

"It just takes some time for the others. They're still hurting." D.O bit his lip. "Lay, Chen and Chanyeol are working on a song. Hopefully with your help it can get on the new album."

"What's it about?" I asked.

"Basically an apology song to the Exo-Ls for the sucky year of 2014. Just reassuring them that we're still here and we won't let them down." D.O's voice was shaky as he explained. Talking about the song made him emotional. 

"That sounds amazing," I said. "I'll do what I can to get that on the album."

D.O smiled, but his eyes didn't. "Basically....it's easy to make promises when life is good. We broke a lot of promises to our fans last year."

I nodded. "Which is why I shouldn't make many promises right now."

"Exactly." D.O stood up. "I should get some rest. Hug?"

I smiled and stood up, and hugged him. He was only a couple of inches taller than me, so it was a comfortable hug as I wrapped my arms around his torso. It was a warm, reassuring hug that I didn't want to let go of, but did eventually. "Thank you," I said.

"You're welcome. Consider me a friend. I'm always here if you need to talk."