34 // "I think he's faking"

*A Month Later*

Kim Tan called me into his office. "We've discussed how you've been doing this past month, and we want to offer you the job."

"Oh my gosh," I said. "Thank you. Yes, I'll take it." But I knew I had to go back to SM to quit officially and finish moving out.

When I got to the SM building, it already felt like I was done here. My goal was to make it out without running into any of the Exo members. I went straight to Kim J's office. "Ah," he said when I came in. "I was expecting you. Signing paperwork to leave?"

I nodded. "I decided to take the job offer."

"Well, good for you. We have a replacement already, and she's fantastic. Another American, and she had never heard of Exo before coming here. Great for us, she doesn't even know what bias means. So, we wish you well. She took your old room, of course. She said your stuff is in a box in there." He handed me a key.

I walked there, and knocked before opening the door. This girl had completely moved in. I took a minute to stand there, overcome with the memories.

I was really leaving.

I exhaled, and turned to my box by the door when a girl walked in. "Hello?" She asked. "Oh, wait, are you the old manager?"

I nodded. "I'm Amelia," I said, and we shook hands.

"I'm Shana. Nice to finally meet you. They talk about you a lot."

"They do?"

"Ugh, yeah. It's kind of annoying, really." She exhaled. "How were you ever able to tell them apart?! It's been a month and I still mix them up."

"You'll get it. Don't worry," I said, not about to tell her I was a fan before coming here. "How's Kai?"

"Okay, I just told you I still mix them up. I don't know who Kai is!"

"He's the hot one," I said. "You know who he is. The best dancer, has this smirk.."

"Oh! That's Kai," she said. "They don't speak to me. What, they talked to you?"

"Yeah," I said. "I guess that's how you know if you are doing a good job." I bit my lip. "You know which one Xiumin is?"

Shana sighed loudly. "No."

"Do any of them faint regularly?"

"Uh, yeah. One does, like every day. I think he's faking, to be honest. No one faints that much. I assigned more practices for him because he's obviously trying to slack."

My eyes widened. "You what?"

"Kim J told me to assign more stuff if they aren't good. That's what I'm doing," she said.

"Amelia?"

We both turned to Xiumin standing in the doorway. "Minseok," I whispered, and walked over to him, tightly wrapping my arms around his neck. He didn't hug back at first, but then he did.

"Um, what is this?" Shana asked. "Im going to write this up. I'll tell Kim J."

"Do it," I said, letting go.

"No, don't do it," Xiumin said. "I need to talk to her alone."

"Fine, I have places to be anyway," Shana said, walking out of the room and down the hallway. "I'll still tell Kim J!"

"Are you doing okay?" I asked. "I asked about you, and she-"

"I heard." He shook his head. "She's horrible. God, I miss you so much." He put his hands on my hips and pulled me to him, into another hug.

"You have to get out," I said. "Comeback season is over. This is your chance."

"It's not that easy," Xiumin said. "How's Big Hit?"

"Good."

"BTS?"

"Great. We're going to America in a couple of weeks for KCon," I said.

Xiumin let go, his hands still resting on my hips. "So you're really not coming back?"

"No. I can't.."

"Right," Xiumin said, rolling his eyes.

I stepped away from him, and his hands fell to his sides. "Minseok, I love you," I said, pushing past the shakiness in my voice. "I want to be there for you and save you from this company. But I can't. And I can't just go on to see you slowly die and it'll be my fault. So when you do leave Exo, like you told me, you know where to find me."

I turned to leave, hoping that Xiumin would grab my arm and pull me back to him. I hoped that when I started walking, he would tell me to stop, or catch up to me. I hoped that when I walked out of the SM building, he would run after me, telling me he was done.

But he didn't.

And I lived day to day, wondering if I would ever see him again.