33 // "Will you date him too?"

When I returned to the SM building, I went straight to Kim J's office.

"You're requesting time off?" He asked me. "Seriously? Next week is comeback week."

"I need this," I said.

His eyebrows came together as he looked at me. "You found another job. Didn't you?"

"I have an internship at Big Hit Entertainment."

"Big Hit? Seriously?" Kim J asked. "They're pathetic, you know. All about making them look pretty."

"BTS is catching up to Exo."

"Don't use those bands in the same sentence," Kim J scolded. "I'll let you go for the internship, but you have to tell the members you're ditching them for BTS."

I exhaled. That was the last thing I wanted to do. "Can't I just disappear?"

"Nope. Not how we do things here."

I walked into their dance practice, and they were all sweaty and working hard. "Okay, time for a break!" Lena exclaimed, and shot me a glare.

"I have something to tell you all," I said. "Why don't you all sit? You look exhausted."

After they had all gotten comfortable on the floor, I began to speak. "So.. I have a new job offer. There's no easy way to say this, but I'm going to be leaving you for a month for the internship. If it goes well, I won't be coming back."

"What company?" Chanyeol asked.

"Big Hit," I said. Xiumin slammed his hand on the floor and walked out.

Oh no.

I made Xiumin mad. "I'm sorry," I told the others. "It's time for me to move on. You know it wasn't going to be for long."

"The next manager will be ruthless," Baekhyun said. "You know that! You know you're the best manager we've ever had. How can you leave us?!"

"I..." This was too hard. I couldn't do this.. But I had to leave.

I walked out of the room, searching the halls for Xiumin.

"Amelia!" Someone called from behind me. I turned to see D.O.

"D.O," I acknowledged. "Why did you give such a wonderful word for me at Big Hit?"

"Because," he said. "I know that you need to get out of here. It's not good for you to see us, and Xiumin, like this."

"Oh," I said. "Oh my gosh, D.O."

D.O stepped forward and put his arm on my shoulder, looking into my eyes. "Take this opportunity. Get out of here, because the rest of us can't."

"I need to find Minseok," I said.

"He's probably in the gym," D.O replied.

I ran through the halls, going straight to the gym. I opened the doors, and saw Xiumin bench pressing. "Xiumin!" I shouted. "You need a spotter!" I ran over to him.

He shook his head when I got over to him, and he began struggling to lift the bar with weights back up. I held onto the bar to steady him, and then in one motion, he lifted it back onto the hooks. He whipped around to face me. "Why would you leave us for BTS?!"

"I have to move on with my life," I said. "And you do too."

"By the way, I had it. I didn't need you to spot me."

"Really." I crossed my arms.

"It's not that you could lift it anyway. I was benching more than you weigh."

I exhaled, rolling my eyes. "I didn't come in here to argue with you. I want to make sure you're okay."

"Well, I'm not okay," Xiumin said. "I'm in love with you and I can't be with you, I'm dying, and you're leaving me for BTS. You're going to move on and date Jimin -"

"What?!" I exclaimed. "Jimin? Seriously? He's younger than me!"

"By two years," Xiumin snapped. "Still less of an age difference than us."

"Minseok!"

"Really, who's your bias in that group? Will you date him too?" Xiumin asked. He looked at me, seeming hurt. Then he closed his eyes, and gasped, his hand going to his heart.

"Minseok!" I shouted, getting out my phone as he collapsed. "I'm calling 911!"

"No," he gasped, reaching for my free hand and pulling it to him. "I'm okay. I just....can't....breathe..."

"No!" I exclaimed. "I won't let you leave me!" I started to dial, but then Xiumin reached and grabbed it from me, then with one big force, rolled on top of me, his arms holding himself up. He looked into my widened eyes, both of us breathing heavily. He slowly leaned in, looking from my eyes to my lips, back and forth. When I could feel his soft breath on my lips, I closed my eyes. "Minseok."

"Mm?"

I opened my eyes, and Xiumin was farther from my face. "I thought you couldn't breathe."

"I couldn't let you call 911. An ambulance here would have looked really bad for SM."

"Why do you keep defending them?" I asked.

"Because..they've given me everything."

I looked away. "They're also taking everything. Seriously, 30 seconds ago, you were struggling to breathe."

"Amelia, this happens every day," Xiumin said. "I told you I would be okay. I just have to get through it. I feel better now."

Amelia. He stopped calling me Amy.

"I don't want you to die," I whispered. "Everything we talked about in America.."

"Sounds like a wonderful dream," Xiumin said. "I keep holding on to it. I don't want you to leave. Please..I need you to be here with me."

"I..." I closed my eyes. I couldn't see his face when I said this. "I cant."