29 // "What happened?"

Life had gone back to normal. Everyone flew back in the day before the Dream concert, and everyone seemed happy and refreshed. Xiumin did his best to never make eye contact with me. If he did, he would always quickly look away, as if he never did.

I was in my office working on schedules and booking events when there was a knock on the door. "Come in," I called. I glanced up to see Kai walking in and closing the door behind him. "No, actually, don't come in. I'm very busy," I said.

"I did what I had to do, you know. I had to protect a brother."

"From what?" I asked.

"From you, you idiot."

I shook my head, going back to work and ignoring him.

"I don't even want to know what Kim J would have done if he found out."

I slammed my pen down on my desk. "He knows everything. So I don't even know why you're in here. I kind of hate you right now, and you probably don't want to mess with me right now."

Kai picked up his schedule. He obviously located it on my desk while he was talking. "I don't know, it looks pretty much the same." He picked up Xiumin's, and I cringed. "Why is Xiumin's schedule so empty? Where's the cardio and extra practices? You know you won't win him back this way."

"I don't care if I ever win him back," I said. "I made a promise to him and I keep my word."

"Why did you make out with Chanyeol?" Kai asked bluntly.

"What?"

"Why? You gave me so much to work with back there. You know I was eventually going to tell Xiumin that, right?"

I exhaled. "It was my first night here, I was still obsessed with you all like an Exo-L, and he was the one who started it."

"Better work on that answer if you want Xiumin back," Kai said, getting out of the chair he was sitting in and leaving.

I tried to keep busy on my work to keep myself from thinking about Xiumin. Knowing that he hated me broke me. We were back to where we started.

It must have been over an hour later when someone knocked on my door. I again, hoped it was Xiumin. But instead, it was D.O. "Hey," he said softly, closing the door behind him. "Can we talk?"

"Yeah," I said. "But it's your break.."

D.O shrugged it off.

I exhaled. "What's going on?"

"Maybe I should be asking you. There's obvious distance between and Xiumin and everyone sees it."

"Everyone?" I asked. Kim J? Everyone?

"The band," D.O said. "Not that everyone is for it of course. Most are against it, but... Amelia, you've changed Xiumin. For the good. He was really having a hard time, until you came along."

I didn't say anything.

D.O sat down in one of my chairs across from me, my desk in between us. "Amelia..what happened? Xiumin is back to his old self."

"Xiumin went home with me. It was all going well..and he..said he loved me. He said he wanted to date me and make it official. We met Kai in LA and he told Xiumin that I was trying to sleep with the whole band."

"Oh no," D.O said.

"Kai made up that he and I had something, and then brought up Chanyeol. When Xiumin asked me if it was true..I couldn't lie to him.." I bit my lip. Be professional, Amelia. Don't cry.

"Kai must really hate you," D.O acknowledged.

"He told me he was just protecting Xiumin," I said. "I just want to leave, D.O. I don't think I'll get him back. He told me to forget everything he told me."

D.O looked away. "Did Xiumin talk to you? About.."

"His heart condition? Yeah."

"He fainted again today. During dance practice for Love Me Right," D.O said. "I'm really worried about him."

"Me too," I said. "I cut the things in his schedule. I'll probably get in trouble for it, but I'm not a trainee manager anymore. I can get away with more."

"You are really the best manager we've had. Even if no one admits it. You really care about us," D.O said. He stood up. "I have to get back to practice."

I stared a chipped edge of my desk as he walked towards the door. "D.O?" I asked, then looked at him.

"Yeah?"

"Thanks for listening to me. And..I'm sorry you don't have more lines in Love Me Right."

D.O nodded. "I'm Lay's backup, so it's okay."

"Wait, what?"

"I've just heard stuff. Lay missing out again and going to China during promotions," D.O explained.

"What."

"He is the last Chinese member in Exo, you know. Without him, we really have no point in doing Chinese versions, and we'll lose a ton of money," D.O said. He exhaled. "Not a lot of us really trust Lay."