55. They Can't Sleep Pt. 1

Steve:

You were sound asleep in you and Steve's bedroom, dreaming about cooking dinner with Steve and him laughing loudly at something. You started to stir, a smile on your face, and you reached out to Steve's side of the bed to pull him closer. There was a problem though, Steve wasn't there. Finding a cold empty bed instead of finding the love of your life woke you instantly causing you to immediately sit up in bed. As you rubbed your eyes, you looked around the room to see if Steve as there. When you didn't find him, you got out of bed and went to look for him, first knocking on the bathroom door and when you got no answer you walked out into the hall. You quietly and slowly started down the stairs to see if maybe Steve was in the living room. Once you were downstairs you noticed a light on in the dining room and then saw Steve sitting at the table, staring quite intently at a glass of water.

"Steve." At the sound of your voice Steve looked up and gave you a small smile.

"Hey darling, what are you doing up?"

"I could ask you the same thing." As you spoke you pulled out the chair next to Steve and sat down facing him. He turned a bit to face you.

"I guess you could, but how about since I asked first you answer first." You smirked at him.

"Fine, I woke up to find your side of the bed empty and I knew I wanted to know where you had gone. Now it's your turn, go." He smiled at you and reached out his hand to take yours.

"I was just thinking about some 

things."

"What things Steve?" You asked trying to catch his eye again as he stared at the table. He sighed trying to decide how he should answer you. "C'mon Spangles, you know you can tell me anything." He finally looked at you again staring at you for another moment before finally answering you.

"I was thinking about Bucky." You brow furrowed at this, thinking about his best friend shouldn't be causing him concern like this. "I was just thinking about what happened  to him, back during the war. If I had been just a few seconds faster I could have saved him. Everything that happened to him...Hydra... the arm...the brain washing... I could have prevented it. I could have saved him." At this point Steve had let go of your hand and was leaning his arms on his knees, head in his hands. You put a hand on his shoulder, rubbing it lightly, before reaching out and cupping his face with your other hand. You lightly pulled his head up so that he was looking at you again.

"Steve, I need you to listen to me very carefully. Nothing that happened to Bucky was your fault, the only people to blame are those Hydra bastards. You did everything you could to save him, and when you found him again you did save him. You can't blame yourself for things you can't control, and I'm sure as hell not going to let you." Steve gave you a small smile before leaning forward and kissing your cheek.

"C'mon we better get back to bed." Steve grabbed your hand and pulled you both up heading toward the stairs. When he reached them though, he turned and stopped before heading up. He gave you a cheeky grin. "One more thing, language." You laughed at this and gave his chest a light slap.

"Shut up, you Dorito." Now it was Steve who was laughing as he continued back upstairs to the bedroom.

Bucky:

Bucky had been having trouble sleeping lately, he had been nightmares more and more often. Which is why when you woke up to find him missing from the bed, you weren't entirely surprised. You were definitely worried though. So you quickly slipped on a pair of Bucky's sweatpants that were in a drawer next to the bed and headed out to find him. With your arms crossed over your chest you shuffled down the hall towards the kitchen. When you got there Bucky was standing in the dark, leaning up against the counter. You walked into the kitchen and jumped up to sit on the island, opposite the counter Bucky was leaning against. Then you folded your hands in your lap and stared at him, waiting for him to speak. He chuckled lightly at you and took a step forward.