Chapter 41: I'm Terrified To Speak But You'd Expect That From Me.

*Alex's POV*

The flight all the way back home to England, before home in Baltimore that is, took forever. My pokey book turned out to only satisfy me for so long before I got death stares from more people on the plane. You could say I was not the favorite on the plane. When we landed I pulled myself with all my luggage to the side and sat on the bench nearbye while I waited for my ride. Before calling my mom to see if she was here already or not, I turned on my cellphone and called Cameo immediately.

"Hello?" I heard a groggy voice from the other line and I smiled. She always sounded like a deep throated chain smoker in the morning.

"Hey babe." I cooed as if I were there and had woken her in bed.

"Lex?" I smiled and mhm'd back. I heard instant rustling of blankets and a clicking as if she turned the light on. "Lex." She sighed in recognition and satisfaction. "How was the flight?"

I chuckled. "Let's just say your gift to me did not help me make friends." I could hear her throaty laugh and I smiled wider.

"So you just got to your mom's?"

"Nope. I just landed, I told you I'd get ahold of you when I did." I leaned back in the bench against the airports stone wall. My eyes trailed up and down the road, looking for a familiar car and people watching at the same time.

"So then you're still at the airport? Wow. I was expecting her to be waiting inside for you with a huge sign and some flowers and a bunch of glasswear filled with your favorite foods from childhood or something." I could hear the apparent smile in her voice.

"Trust me, I was thinking and cringing at the same thoughts." We laughed together and It kind of felt like when I was back on the road again and all we could really look forward to doing was talking on the phone for more than thirty minutes.

While I was talking to her, a familiar maroon car pulled up and I zoned from the conversation a second to see it park. Is that..? Cameo got quiet and I held the phone tighter in my hand. "Huston, I think we're prepared for lift off." I used my fake, space cadet voice and she giggled.

"Your mom's there now?"

"I think it's her.. Hold on." I squinted and leaned forward some, and sure enough my mom closed the door behind her and came up the sidewalk. Before passing me and going in, she must have felt my stare, and looked over at me, her serious face burst into a smile that anyone else who was a stranger to her would think a crazy person had, and jogged over to me in her heels. "Stand corrected, it's her."

"ALEXANDER WILLIAM!" She called in her happy, baby voice that she used that would annoy me at times. She waved frantically until she got close enough to her liking to stop and stood infront of me. "My baby!" She opened her arms for me and I stood clumsily and embraced my mom.

"Hey mom." I managed when I pulled from the hug and put the phone back to my ear. My mom gave me a confused look and I waved her off.

"Babe?" I asked into the phone.

"Yes?"

"My mom's here, I think that means I should go, but I promise I'll call right before I go to sleep. I love you." I smiled into the phone, forgetting about my mom, but hearing her make a choking noise in the background.

"I love you too. Be good, tell your dad I said Hi."

"I will."