chapter twenty-two

They begin to walk in between halls.

"That was Chris.", Camilla said.

"He's cute.", Veronica said. "Is he always that flirtatious?"

Camilla shook her head and said, "Since him and Emily broke up, he's been on the low."

"How long were they together?", she asked.

"About 2 years.", Elizabeth responds.

Veronica looks down at her shoes.

She looks up and says, "Your whole group is attractive."

Camilla laughs and Elizabeth said, "Kian is the trouble maker. Zendaya is the social-media freak. Chris is the smart, sweet one. Grayson and Ethan are the funny, couldn't-care-less-because-they're-rich kids-"

"And Elizabeth is the smart/athletic/ pretty one.", Camilla interrupted.

Elizabeth laughed.

"And me? I'm the-"

"Camilla is the overly defensive one.", Elizabeth said interrupting her.

Camilla laughed.

"Can I be the awkward one?", Veronica asked.

"Any awkward soul is welcomed in our group.", Elizabeth said as she put her arm around Veronica.

They walked into a hall and saw Alex (Jack Gilinsky) and Emily (Andrea Russet). They were kissing. Camilla's jaw dropped.

Alex said, "Even when I was with Elizabeth, I always thought about you."

Alex nor Emily realized they were being watched. Until Veronica said, "Who's that?"

Alex stopped and looked over and pushed Emily off of him.

"You should be ashamed of yourself!", Emily yelled.

"And you should really close your legs! I can smell that from here, but you don't see me complaining!", Elizabeth yelled back.

She grabbed Veronica's arm and Camilla's arm and pulled them back.

They quickly walked away and Alex ran after her.

"Lizz!", he yelled.

He grabbed her arm and turned her around.

"Let go of me-"

"No, Lizz, stop-"

"Didn't you hear her?", Camilla asked as she pushed Alex away, "Let go of her!"

Alex let go of Elizabeth. She tried walking away, but he grabbed her arm again.

Elizabeth grunted.

"Lizz, listen-"

"Let go of my arm... then we can talk.", Elizabeth said softly.

He let go of her arm.

"Lizz, what I said... that wasn't true, I lo-"

"Don't you dare try and tell me that you loved me, not when she's on your mind.", Elizabeth said.

Alex was left speechless.

"Let's go, Lizz, we're gonna be late.", Veronica said as she pulled Elizabeth's arm.

They walked away and Alex was left alone.