Chapter Seven

The rest of the journey to Greg's house was kind of a forgettable blur. I hardly remembered even being on the ferry. I was so focused on wanting to go home that I kind of missed everything. I think this actually helped though, because it caused me to forget about the awful swaying that would have made anyone feel sick. Even Greg had turned quite green for a short period of time, which meant I had to supress a yet another smile.

Before I knew it, we were pulling up onto the gravel driveway of their house. It was exactly how I had imagined it to be. It was a detached, white cottage-looking building with small square windows that sunk into the brick. There were vines that framed the side of the wall and masses of flowers and plants were circled on the ground. It literally was postcard worthy. It was also quite intimidating.

Greg had been right when he said it was different from what I was used to. My house was a much smaller terrace house without overgrown grass and no flowers in the garden. My Mum said she never had time to do gardening, which was understandable but also made our house look like utter crap.

Greg yanked my heavy suitcase out of the back of the van and set it on the gravel in front of me. He shot me a crooked smile,

"Ready then?"

"I suppose..." I replied simply. Inside though, I was screaming. I was a lot more nervous now that I was actually here. I didn't want to meet his family. I wasn't ready. I had only just gotten used to him, more people would just be too much for me to handle in one day. I hated this. I wanted to go home.

Greg then paced towards the entrance that was positioned around the side of the house and swung open the door. I followed a few feet behind him, breathing deeply. The room we entered into was the kitchen. It was old fashioned and had a large, rectangular table in the centre. I peered around curiously.

"Hunny, I'm home!" He shouted in a mocking way. He turned to me and winked, then waited for a sweet reply.

"In here!" His wife called back in a chirpy voice from a distant room. I saw his eyes light up, which I thought was quite cute. I could tell he was deeply in love with his wife. I shook my head from this wishy-washy thoughts when I realised he was stood in the doorway, waiting for me to follow him.

"C'mon" He beckoned, "Leave your bags in here."

I trailed behind him like a lost puppy, taking in the aesthetic of their supposedly perfect house. I didn't want to think about how long his wife had spent cleaning it. She had wasted her time really.

We travelled down the brightly, lit hallway and Greg opened the first door on the left. This was the living room where I was struck with the image of Greg's wife and his three children stood in a line, in height order. It reminded me severely like the 'Vontrap' family. I just waited for them to start singing in sync, but obviously that never happened.

"Alright Char" Greg smiled, kissing his wife tenderly on the cheek, before motioning towards me "Everyone this is Kat."

I slowly stepped into the room and pursed my lips as all eyes were on me. I felt extremely self-conscious all of a sudden. I didn't really know what to say. Greg, of course, took the lead and started to introduce me to each of his family members. I couldn't think of anything more awkward if I'm honest.

"Okay Kat... this is my beautiful wife Charlotte" He said, motioning towards the woman he had kissed on the cheek. She did indeed look very glamorous. Her brunette hair was long and silky-looking and she wore a knitted, lilac jumper. Her face was quite slender and she had a kind of natural beauty about her. I nodded politely.

"This is my oldest son, Jamie" Greg announced, moving me gently down the line of people. I had to admit this caught me off guard and my nerves heightened considerably. He was quite a bit taller than I was, with broad shoulders. His hair was a darker shade of brown to his mum's and swooped just above his eyes. He was smirking lightly at me and I noticed two dimples on either side of his mouth. I met his eye contact for a split second,