Chapter Twelve

I think Jamie's idea of fun was very different to mine. I discovered this because after a short while of aimless walking, we soon arrived at a huge, open park. A small river ran in between two banks located down the centre of the open space. Just to the right of that was a large, wooden bandstand. I guessed that it was very old because there was a strong hint of green tinted on the wood.

I gave him an unimpressed look, "What are we doing here?"

"I always come here to sober up" He chuckled, continuing to pace over to the bandstand. I frowned and power walked to keep up with him.

"I thought you said we were gonna have some fun... besides I'm not drunk"

"So you usually make out with random guys when you're sober?" He said, raising an eyebrow. I shot him a death glare. I hate that he was assuming things about me. He was forming bad ideas of me in his head already, I could tell. I didn't know what to think of him. I wanted to believe that he wouldn't judge me but part of me knew that he had. It's a natural reaction I suppose.

"Oh right..." He nodded, after I didn't respond. He stepped confidently onto the bandstand and swung playfully on one of the poles. There was a sharp creaking noise and for a moment I thought it was going to break. I had to admit it would be extremely funny to watch him fall flat on his face.

I stood at the bottom of the steps, watching him with my arms crossed over my chest. He claimed that we were going to do something reckless and have fun. However sitting in a rotting bandstand in a boring park definitely didn't thrill me. I sighed and began picking at the nail polish on my fingers in a bored manner.

When I glanced back up again, Jamie was stood on the railings of the bandstand, reaching up towards the roof. He then lifted himself up effortlessly, so that his legs were now swinging off the edge. I felt slightly worried that he might fall but I didn't let this show. I couldn't give him the impression that I cared.

"C'mon then!" He called, motioning for me to climb up after him.

"I ain't getting up there" I scoffed, watching him shifting around to get more comfortable.

"Not scared, are we?"

"No!"

"What, like you're not scared of water?" He taunted, a sly smile tugging on his lips.

This hit a nerve big time and I immediately looked up. How did he know that? How could he possibly know that? Several emotions came rushing over me all at once. Anger, fear, embarrassment. It was something I wanted to keep secret and he had guessed it just like that. I couldn't help but bite back.

"I ain't fucking scared of anything" I snarled, allowing my arms to drop my sides and my hands to form into fists.

"Prove it then" He challenged, his famous smirk appearing on his face once again. Anger grew inside me. Part of me didn't want to because I didn't need to prove anything to him. But I knew if I didn't he would only hold it against me.

I huffed in annoyance and stepped up to the bandstand. Carefully, I grabbed hold of the railing and pulled myself onto them. My legs shaking underneath me but I chose to ignore it. I don't know what I was worried about, I had climbed up the walls of many houses before so this should be no different. But houses are study and made of brick, not rotting wood that may collapse at any second.

I knew this wasn't a good idea, but I simply had to do it. I placed my palms flat against the roof before swiftly hauling myself up with great difficultly. I really needed to go on a diet. I wiggled my legs frantically until I was finally sat safely next to Jamie on the bandstand roof. I gave him a smug look and dared not look down.